Porto Covo, a Small Pleasant Town With Sunny Beaches


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Alentejo
January 28th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One hundred-twenty kilometres north of Sagres, after a long strip of amiable small towns and charming beaches, Porto Covo stands out for its cool streets with tidily displayed houses, all of which neatly painted white and blue.

Only a short trip from Lisbon, this is a place for weekenders, for newly-married couples. Where middle-class Portuguese families take their children.

We are half way through the Portuguese winter. The sun shines bright up in the clear, blue sky, however there is a subtle cool breeze, enough for the men to show off their best sweaters; ladies, their designer's wool coats. Even furcoats can be seen. Shiny shoes strolling around. Coffee being appreciated at fancy tea shops.

Amongst all that, a semi-tramp is comfortable wearing his tee-shirt, shorts and trekking boots. He carries his lunch and a book in his backpack and heads down to the small deserted beaches. Not bothered at all by the look on people's faces, if only a bit proud of not belonging.

Happy in his own skin, the semi-tramp is the king of the beach. He's got the beautiful seafront entirely for himself. He reads his book and sunbathes. He plays with small rocks, writes on the flufy sand, talks to birds inspecting the sand for food. He gets his lunch from his backpack and savours it in three courses. Then he walks along the beaches taking pictures, sometimes singing quietly to himself distractedly, sometimes looking in awe at the waves, the rocks, the vegetation. He reverences the light, the warmth, the breeze, the tides. He can't describe how happy he is for being able to see what's around him. He tells himself what an splendid place the world is.

After sunset the semi-tramp goes back to his rented room. Having spent some time wild-camping, his tent is now broken, his air matress' got a puncture. The semi-tramp is immensely satisfied this time he's got a hot shower, a whole kitchen with tv! and a comfortable warm bed. He goes to sleep thinking he's the luckiest man in the world!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



20th February 2008

Adoravel
Tu, quisera eu ser tramp dessa forma! Que delicia de vida mano, que prazer imenso saber q vc esta feliz! Beijos,Lu.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb