Gdansk-A surprisingly lovely city


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
July 3rd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.355, 18.6456

Gdansk was originally known as Danzig and has a long history of war as it has been taken over by Russians, Swedes ,French and Germans and finally went back to Poland after the 2nd world war and was renamed Gdansk. Most of us remember it as the shipyards and birthplace of the Solidarity movement of Lech Walensa. I wasn't expecting much but then was amazed by what a beautiful city it is. It was heavily bombed during the war but they have rebuilt the old town as it was. There are beautiful gabled buildings and lots of squares with busy bars and restaurants. There are hundreds of amber shops and interesting old buildings and apparently the largest brick built church in the world. The waterfront is heaving and is an ideal place to stop for a beer, which is surprisingly cheap. Can highly recommend a stop over here if ever you are in Poland.
On all these stop overs we only spend the morning exploring wherever we are and then go back to the ship for a lovely long lunch in the restaurant. The food is excellent but I am trying to have as much fish as possible-seems healthier- but offset by the large amounts of wine consumed at the same time!
Yet again we did not go up to the pool deck because weather not good enough. Yet again we came second in the Trivia quiz by one point thanks to me getting my astronauts mixed up!
Met different people again at dinner- yet more politics which has dominated conversations on this cruise. Every country is topsy turvy with their leadership so there is plenty to discuss but no animosity.
We went to the show as the best two singers were doing different arias and popular songs and it was very good. At least we were not the last ones in the bar for a change!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Neptune Fountain. Neptune Fountain.
Neptune Fountain.

If you look closely there is the Polish football scarf around Neptune's neck!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb