In Gliwice, Poland - volunteering with Habitat for Humanity


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Silesia » Gliwice
July 31st 2008
Published: August 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: working on site 12 secs
2: musicians on the square 12 secs
3: dancer 4 secs
First let me tell you where Gliwice is. It is close by, just west of Krakow, in southern Poland, a city of 200,000. Silesian Universtiy of Technology is here, attended by 32,000 students. One of the city's unique claims to fame, is the wooden radio tower. Perhaps the tallest in the world, 118 meters tall, (approximately 350 feet) But this trip wasn't for our usual sight seeing holiday. It was a chance for me to be of some use.

In case you are looking for a different approach to travel, here's a formula that guarantees a memorable experience:
-act on a whim.
-build a house, one heavy cement block at the time
-generate compassion within yourself
"active desire to alleviate another's suffering"
-form friendships with people from places you may never heard of.
-just don't leave too soon.

This volunteer's participation with Habitat for Humanity, in the city of Gliwice, pronounced "Gliveetsa" began on a whim. Searching the internet has become a new hobby (yuck, I know...) but this search led me to a personally enriching experience. I came upon the Global Village site in Habitat for Humanity web page, and was happy to see that there was a home building project going on near to us in Poland!

It's been a long time since the phrase "one step at the time" has meant so much! Many houses in Europe are built one heavy cement block at a time, unlike the wood framing we might do in the south eastern states. It must be an amusing sight for the foreman and construction workers to see the volunteers, especially us women, look at the pile of blocks for the first time, and hear us say "move those to where?"

Involvement in a "build" may happen for many reasons, but I guarantee that the end product is tremendous compassion for families whose living conditions are stressful and inadequate, or unhealthy. Admiration for their commitment to improve their families lives is another by-product of participating in the "build". Habitat homes are sold to families in need, at no profit and financed through affordable, no-interest loans. Home owners truly have ownership in the houses, through "sweat equity" consisiting of hundreds of hours of construction time on site.

Our team consisted of Poles, Brits, Americans, Canadians and one mighty Thai. All of whom I consider my new friends. I tend to think that there are no accidents, so the reasons that these particular folks were put together may not be immediatly obvious, but we will see.

And once you are there and beginning to feel part of the team, Don't leave until it's over! Due to my poor planning, I was on site just a few days. The lead team members allowed me to be a "walk-on", and, participate for 3 days compared to the full 12 days. The organization is very flexible and accommodating!
Out of sight out of mind, but they, meaning the homeowners, construction crew, and volunteers, are each in my thoughts, still today.

While living here in Europe, I have had periods of homesickness. Just as my fellow team members surely felt after a few nights in a cot or sleeping on the floor, you will eventually long for home. As I experienced this build, I thought of the longing the Habitat families must feel to be in a safe, stable home. Homesick for a real home, one that they won't be evicted from, one that they can take pride in, one that they will create family memories in. One that they will Live in.
offered prayersoffered prayersoffered prayers

we attended a concert at the All Saint's Church
Habitat helps to provide that for them.
As I said, if you want to travel, this is the way to see the real world, while giving a little bit of yourself, in return. My team leaders are headed to the country of Tajikistan next!



The time apart from the construction site, was spent walking through town to the square for rest and relaxation, and some photo opportunities. One evening we heard a classical music concert in the All Saint's church that was fabulous. Our director and his wife did a bit of translating so that we wouldn't miss out on the introductions and descriptions of the pieces that were performed. After my early departure, the group was to visit the Salt mine in Wieliczka and the memorial of Auschwitz in Oswiecim.
I rode the train back into Krakow after my short time in Gliwice. It was a beautiful day to see the land outside the city. Yards are colored with flower gardens in full bloom, cornfields and cabbage patches are being harvested. Cows and calves, horses, even a stork now and then. A peaceful reflective return trip to the city.



Dali Lama -If
strolling her baby to her homestrolling her baby to her homestrolling her baby to her home

her home is one of the completed units
you want others to be happy practice compassion, if you want to be happy practice compassion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

building castlesbuilding castles
building castles

this little guy spoke no English but that didn't keep him from jabbering away. We just laughed when he laughed, and he "worked" right along with us
coffee break...coffee break...
coffee break...

at the invitation of the gracious and hospitable homeowner. she has lived in her home with her husband and daughter for two years, and still finds it in her heart to welcome and thank Habitat For Humanity for their work.
skilled work crewskilled work crew
skilled work crew

home building in Gliwice Poland


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb