Sopping wet in Sopot


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Pomerania » Sopot
August 17th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We headed for the beach of Poland, Sopot!!! I am from Wrightsville Beach and during the summer time it can be as hot as 100 degrees and sunny and the water is in the 80's but in Sopot it was 60 degrees and the water was around freezing, that is what it felt like. We spent our time walking around when the weather allowed and spent then rest of the time in the hotel having some good family time playing cards and watching the Olympics. Sopot is really the beach resort for Poland, there was a lot of construction going on but it was still very nice for Poland. The Sopot pier is the longest wooden pier in Europe and we walked on it is a gale!
just east of Sopot is Gdansk where the Solidaridy Movement began which was basicly the beginning of the fall of Communism in Poland. A shipyard worker was the catylist that began the movement and changed the country. The weather was to bad to for us to get to the shipyard but we read plenty about it while drinking coffee in a dry cafe.
Sopot is probably a wonderful beach resort when the weather is nice. We saw beach volleyball games and it was completely packed despite the weather.
Next is the Polish mountains then I am off to Denmark to wrap up my tour de Europe!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 104; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb