Early Arrival in Krakow Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
September 24th 2011
Published: September 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrive about 650 am. My hostel was just across the street from the train station and couldnt have been in a better spot. I dropped my bags off and got some breakfast.

Around 930 I met up with my friends that stayed at another hostel and we figured out our plan. We decided to take a tour to Auschwitz. It is about hour bus ride away and would have been a hassel to get there on our own. The tour was only about 30 dollars for 6 hour total trip. That was going to be at 1345. So we first walked around the old town of Krakow and saw the castle by the river and the market.

At 1345 we went on our tour. The bus ride ended to be about hour and half. They showed a video about the liberation when the war ended and the person narrating it was so monotone I fell asleep in the bus. A much needed nap. We finally got to Auschwitz. There were two camp sites. The first one we went to was a Polish military base that Germany took over when they invaded Poland. It didn't have the creepy feel to it because it just like a regular military base. The parts that did give me a chill was seeing all the shoes and hair that found. They would shave the woman's hair and sell it to a textile plant. I also learned that they made the Jewish family pay for their ticket to the camp, of course telling them its just a new nice location to live. It was crazy to think how well organized this was though. We saw the gas chamber site and it showed where they first stripped, then went into the shower room but of course were false showers and were actually gassed. Then taken to the furnace.

After that site we went to the second site.. 10 min bus ride away.

This place had the creepy death feeling. This is the place where they had the wooden barracks with the tons of bunk beds in them. It was intense walking the grounds here. Walking in the same footsteps where tons of people were worked to death or shot. We walked the grounds for about hour. It was just deep.

Finally got back to my Hostel about 730 pm. Went to the sister hostel of mine and they had a buffet for like 10 dollars. Unlimited drinks and food. I really just wanted to eat food. It was such a good buffet for 10 dollars. After that Went back to my hostel and got some good sleep. Though my throat was hurting some reason. Not really a good sign. But I finally fell asleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb