carrying on in Krakow


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
September 15th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

AuschwitzAuschwitzAuschwitz

(no caption needed)
Krakow was not initally on our list of travel destinations. In fact, if it wasn't for the random marathon I came across in Poland, we might not have visited. But we are glad that we did (even if it was very brief). It's one of those places that reminds us that what we read in our world history text as high schoolers was very real; it affected millions of people and though it was not on US soil, we can not forget how it continues to impact the world. Kraków is a 1 1/2 hour train ride from Auschwitz, and we thought that we might not have a chance to see this again.
Krakow is south-east of Wrocław (a 5 hour train ride). We arrived at 9:30 pm, threw our bags in a hostel (which - by the way - hostel lion rocks! We definitely recommend it to any interested travellers) and set out to explore the largest medieval town square in Europe (established in the 13th century). We were surprised at the number of jazz clubs we saw -- nearly 10 within a 7 minute walk from our hostel to the town center. We grabbed a couple of drinks at a bar with a fantastic jazz band!! The female vocalist was even skatting up to Ella's standards!!

Oswiecim

The day was appropriately somber to visit Auschwitz. We were proud to make it there on the city bus and didn't feel like we missed out on any of the experience that the expensive tours gave...

While we were at Auschwitz, it started raining and it was really overwhelming to see the expansive grounds pay our respects to those that suffered and died there. Oswiecim is a full days trip from Kraków, but one that should not be missed.

On a positive note, it was really uplifting to learn about the Polish resistance movement during WW2 and how it really stretched across all parts of life, from educcation of school kids to guerilla warefare....

A little side note -- after Patsy finished the marathon in Wrocław, we talked to a Polish man for awhile about life in general and how Russia's actions in Georgia made Polish people more than a little bit nervous given their history...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb