Poland, Day Three


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
March 30th 2008
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was true to its name; the day dawned bright and warm. Emily and I lingered over our breakfast and when everyone else went to take last-minute photos, we did the opposite. We went back to to sleep until it was time to check out of the hotel and board the bus.

We were on the bus only a few minutes before we got off again to tour the Wieliczka Salt Mine. The salt mine was actually fascinating. I mean, a place that tells you that you can lick the floors and walls (but not the statues) has to be pretty cool, right? ;-) The mine has been in use until very recently and has existed since Medieval times. The salt has mined by men and even horses were kept in full stables in the mine to help with labor. There are beautiful, intricate salt statues created by the miners. No professionals have contributed, all has been done by laymen. The statues are of famous people, religious themes, and much more. There is even a chapel that holds services every Sunday and can be rented out for weddings and such. Just to get a sense of how extensive the mine is, we saw only 1% or so. It would take years to actually see the whole mine!





Unfortunately, the pictures that I took inside the mine didn't turn out well because my camera cannot seem to function in darkness. If I can get some pictures from someone else, I will definitely post them!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb