Spring break: stop #2


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
April 2nd 2007
Published: April 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

I loved Prague, but it was a very touristy city and extremely crowded and popular with both the Czech population and the rest of the world. Therefore, when we left Prague Monday morning for Krakow, Poland, and found that we were 3 of 12 total passengers on the flight, I figured we were in for a bit of a change from Prague. The notable differences continued as our taxi in Krakow had to pause on the road for a bit to give way to an old man riding a donkey. There were also chickens in most of the backyards near the airport.

Driving into the city, however, I began to notice the beauty of the old buildings and the narrow streets and was actually a bit surprised at how modern the city looked - from what I had heard from my family, the last time they were in Poland visiting relatives, these cities were very, very different than they now are. We got into town and checked into our hotel, and then set off for the old town and admired the Easter markets, similar to the ones in Prague, set up in the main square next to the long Cloth Hall, a covered market of souveniers and native handicrafts. There were lots of festivities, decorations and a big stage set up for the upcoming Holy Week (later that night, there was an incredibly elaborate performance with an orchestra, singers, and actors reciting biblical verses as giant puppets and figures were paraded around the stage to the sound of the actors' words. It reminded me a bit of Times Square on New Year's...well, maybe not quite that big...) We also went and checked out the mall - again, this was much different from the Poland that mom remembers from her trip many years ago. we had dinner at a typical "peasant" restaurant - all of the restaurants are in little caves that were once all connected as a royal passageway that led to the castle from all ends of the city - and enjoyed some delicious homemade polish food.

The next day, we got up early to enjoy Wawel Castle, which was the political center of Poland until about 1600. We toured the royal apartments and saw some of the courtyards and ballrooms, learning a lot about Polish history and the Great Fire that destroyed many of the buildings and led to the movement of the capital to Warsaw. We then toured the Dragon's Den, as legend has it that a dragon used to live in the caves beneath the city, protecting the princess. We stopped by Krakow's university, one of the oldest in Europe and attended by such science celebs as Copernicus. There is a lovely walking park/path that runs around the city that used to be a moat, and we enjoyed spending our afternoons moseying through the shady walkways. We also walked through Kazmierz, the old Jewish quarter of the city, and enjoyed some amazing bagels for lunch, as Poland = home of the bagels.

Our last full day in Krakow, we signed up for a side trip to Auschwitz, the largest concentration camp in the Holocaust. It was also the coldest and rainiest day of the whole trip, and we were part of an ourdoor tour for a large chunk of the day. It was very sad, but also very important to see and learn more about. After our educational day, we returned back to the city center and warmed up with some tea. We walked around a bit and strolled down the so-called prettiest lane in all of Europe, which happens to be where the Polish Pope used to live before he was the pope. Que interesante.

Advertisement



20th April 2007

Oh,Poland!
Ok..where did the family gossip chain go wrong and inform me that you were in Spain for the whole break with your Mom and Dad??? Crazy! We need to get these H men to gossip a bit better. Geesh! I loved loved loved Poland when I visited a long time ago. Great country. I am thrilled you were able to visit Poland with your Mom. :) Uncle Steve wants to know if you bought a chess set b/c Thanksgiving is coming!?!?!?!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb