Willemstad to the ferry.


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
June 25th 2023
Published: June 25th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Last night we discovered the main bridge we wanted to cross the Holland Diep on was out of action as a piece of it was missing! We used that bridge last September and it was sealed off but we were allowed over. Presumably it was unsafe then. Luckily we found this out last night and could plan a new route which was longer but still doable.
When checking out of the hotel; this morning, the waitress said there was a ferry to replace the bridge so we decided to go for that as it would be great to cross the Holland Diep by boat. Back on Plan A.
Later there was another ferry, The Queen Jacqueline, for a small river crossing.
Lots of riding on dykes surrounded by water, boats of all types and wildlife galore.
Very, very hot today. A ferry official said there was a warning to stay indoors unless you really needed to go out.
We got chatting to another cyclist while waiting for the ferry and compared trips. He had cycled from north east Germany to south west Germany and had similar problems with the trains. We talked with him again in the coffee lounge and later in the bar. He was from Burley in Wharfdale.
Back on the ferry now for an overnight sailing and a few miles back to the car tomorrow. It's been a fab trip but it will be great to be home and see friends and family again.

Total mileage 922 and 14 miles back to the car tomorrow

Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb