Bladel to Willemstad


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
September 11th 2022
Published: September 11th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Yeah, the sun was back today. A very hazy autumnal morning to start with but once the mist lifted it was lovely and much less windy than yesterday. A lovely route in and out of woodlands, villages and small towns and through huge fields of crops and flowers. Many of the towns seemed busy with funfairs, fetes and car boot sales. Being back in the Netherlands we were mainly on cycle paths and these were very busy with people of all ages. Also, because we were back Iin the Netherlands the supermarkets were open so we could buy our picnic lunch.



We saw a least six different bike groups riding out in huge groups. The first group we saw were all stood at the side of the road, obviously meeting up, and they were very enthusiastic with shouts of "Good morning" and "Hello". Soon after they all passed us and again shouted to us. Many of the others out ignored us completely. Mainly they were on the cycle paths which must be quite restrictive for them but occassionally they took to the road.



Early afternoon we stopped at a small cafe/bar to buy a coffee in order to use the toilet as public toilets are very difficult to find and we were never any where quiet enough for 'wild wees'! The young woman behind the bar asked where we were from, where we were going and lots of questions. She seemed really keen to know and thought it was a great thing to be doing. When I complimented her on her English she said her mother was Irish and from Dublin. She had never been to Dublin herself. She said it was always good to practice her English.



Soon after that we found a bench on what appeared a quiet country lane but there was a steady stream of cyclists passing all the time we were there.



At some point I was amused to see St Hubert's chapel, reminding me of Dunsop Bridge church and signs for the A59.



The last few miles before Willemstad were high on a dyke and again was a popular route. We arrived in Willemstad late afternoon to find the 'Shanty and Seasong Festival' just finishing. The first few songs we heard were in English but then they swapped to Dutch. We spent about twenty minutes listening to them before checking into the hotel.



I had booked the evening meal when booking the hotel it being a Sunday. I had spent ages translating the menu into English as although we can make a good attempt at reading a German menu our Dutch is very hazy. The waitress gave us the menu which was written in Dutch on one side and English on the other. Paul succumbed to burger and chips, his first of the holiday, and I had Thai curry which was excellent.





Willemstad is a small historical town with well preserved fortifications. It lies on the Hollands Diep, ( a wide river and an estuary of the Rhine and Meuse rivers.) The Reformed Church was built in 1607 as the first new Protestant church building in the Netherlands.



Willemstad in Noord Brabant has the charm of a storybook village with a small historic quaint harbor where multimillion euro yachts are snugly parked side-by-side. Within a few meters of the dock is a row of restaurants where you can overlook the harbor. A stately white windmill at the harbor’s end, sitting on a rise, has the dominance of a harbor master. The former flour mill is now a magnificent private residence





The little bit we have seen so far is very pretty.



Another rest day tomorrow, just because we can.



50 miles today. 734 miles in total.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb