Where have all the flowers gone?


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Leiden
May 14th 2014
Published: May 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday



If you ever have the opportunity to travel in Holland, make sure your trip includes going to the dunes. It is a national park along the coast of the North Sea where you can cycle, walk, hike on trails, or just enjoy the sites. We rode about 25 kilometers through the park before turning back inland to Leiden. It was the only time this week we have been able to spread out and really ride at our own pace without fear of getting lost. We rode through rolling hills with sand dunes that reminded me of the dunes along Lake Michigan. At the end of our ride we stopped at Benny's Beach Inn for refreshments and to dip toes in the sea.



Before heading to the dunes we visited the last Royal Delft factory and had a tour; it was so interesting and fun. There is a lot of work in each piece, it's no wonder they are so prized. Then we rode how ever many kilometers to Den Haag. I had no idea it was such a huge city where so many people lived and worked. I have always associated it with international crimes and trials. We saw the royal palace, the courts and the peace gardens. It is a beautiful, active city.



We ended our day in Leiden with a walk through the old city. It is wondrous to see buildings that have been standing for hundreds of years and are literally dependent upon one another to remain standing. By 10:00 p.m. We were all sound asleep; what more would you expect after a 30 mile bike ride and an hour walk through the city?



Wednesday



No riding today, only a visit to the Keukenhof Gardens. We spent hours wandering from one garden to the next and among the pavilions. It had changed a lot since Willard was last there (after all that was 1976!), and many of the flower beds had peaked. When I commented that it was fabulous, he stated, yes, but it's not splendid. I was satisfied not having anything for comparison, but I think he was a bit disappointed that it was not grander.



Tomorrow we are off to Haarlem. I do hope it warms up as I am quite tired of being cold. Today I actually bought another fleece jacket; it feels so good--worth every euro!



Again, no pictures. I just can't get them out with this wifi service.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb