A candy WHAT?


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Keukenhof
April 18th 2008
Published: May 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we took a train and then a bus to Keukenhof Gardens. The flower fields weren't looking too promising on the way there, so we were worried that the long winter had delayed the blossoming of the tulips. The gardens weren't at full bloom, but it was still awesome.

As we walked through the park, we discovered a grassy area that had these giant bean bag chairs strewn about for lounging (apparently called Fat Boys... no offense to anyone who may be reading this blog). We each collapsed in a chair for a couple minutes before moving on to explore the windmill. We climbed to the top (more stairs) for a good view of the gardens. From close up, you can really feel the power of those huge arms!

After lunch, we strolled through the indoor flower area and saw the biggest tulips ever! We also saw some really unique ones with frilly edges, and a red and green one that just looked deformed. All three of us decided to purchase some bulbs that will be mailed to us in October, just in time for planting. Here's hoping they survive in Colorado.

When we returned to town, we ate at the same Italian place we had eaten the night before. I have to say that I had better Italian food in the Netherlands and Germany than I did in Italy. After dinner, we went shopping for scarves and gloves because it was darn cold there! I bought a really nice pashmina scarf (even though my Travelgirl magazine says they're so "out")... I saw a lot of women wearing them in Amsterdam, so I guess they must be 'out' everywhere but there.

Thanks to Amsterdam's liberal take on sex and drugs (prostitution and soft drugs are legal there), you see a lot of related novelties in the souvenir shops. My personal favorite was the candy bra and thong.... (think candy necklace -- and yeah, wouldn't the thong be a little uncomfortable??) Even better is the men's version... the candy pouch thong, if you can imagine what that looks like. And if you can't, just look it up on the internet. Amazon has 'em for $9.95.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The frilly tulipsThe frilly tulips
The frilly tulips

Mom and I bought some of these
The Checkerboard FlowerThe Checkerboard Flower
The Checkerboard Flower

"That's just not natural... but Oak Express is."


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb