Keukenhof, Bulb fields & Amsterdam 2022


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Keukenhof
March 24th 2022
Published: April 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Tulips may not have originated in Holland, but that hasn’t stopped them from becoming one of Holland’s main exports and one of the things it’s most well-known for.

It was in the 16th century that tulips were imported to Holland from the Ottoman Empire (present-day Turkey). Just a few years after arriving in Holland, tulips became the most sought-after commodity in the entire Netherlands, after Carolus Clusius wrote what’s considered the first major book about the flower. At the time, tulip bulbs were worth more than gold and were sold for 10 times what a commoner made in a year. Needless to say, the time period was appropriately named “tulip mania.”

Though they certainly don’t outweigh gold anymore, the Netherlands is still one of the largest exporters of tulips in the world. Today, roughly 60% of the country’s land is used for agriculture or horticulture, with much of that land dedicated to growing bulbs. And it’s a good thing because the Netherlands export more than 2 billion tulips worldwide.



During March & April it will be visits to bulb fields, Keukenhof gardens and lots more
http://www.heygo.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 22


Advertisement























Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb