Day 25: It’s Cool, We Visit Delft, and Back Home Early.


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Gouda
October 5th 2022
Published: October 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Well, today isn’t yesterday.

After a shower, I walked barefoot outside, and the hard ridges on the grey weathered timber deck dug into my feet and transmitted an instant message to my brain; it was cold.

The rest of my body soon caught on, so I’m now sitting outside, wearing all the warm clothes that I brought, drinking coffee that has gone cold sooner than it normally would, and eating that old Netherlander breakfast favourite , muesli.

I’m pretty sure they’d really start the day with a cooked breakfast.

The cold breeze coming off the lake has done a 180 degree turn, and is now at my side, creeping down the neck of my jacket. I’m not freezing, but I’m not cozy. Still, I will stay out here, because watching the shimmer of light on the lake, and looking out towards the fleet of wooden boats moored at the club about 40 metres away, is as peaceful and calming as it needs to be at this time of the day. Everyone else is still in bed.

The only movement I can see is the long narrow National flags fluttering on top of the boat masts, and
De Lichtfabriek Restaurant De Lichtfabriek Restaurant De Lichtfabriek Restaurant

This restaurant is situated in the refurbished factory that manufactured light fittings,.
a large red flag flows proudly on top of the clubhouse declaring Texels Beer to be the best.

With the onset of winter approaching - so glad I wont be here for that - people, am I game enough to say husbands, predominantly - are hanging off hedges and snuggling into the banks of the canals, hedge trimmers in hand, cutting back the overhanging bushes, and pulling the remnants to the canal edge for recovery.

This is generally performed by men, because from my personal experience, women generally aren’t as careless with evaluating the safety of a job, before leaping in, and often, limping home. Just my experience, that’s all.

All of these little machines scream like a chainsaw, and I’d take a bet that hearing protection is nowhere to be found. They’re just not in the macho guidelines.

The advice I’ve usually ignored from my wife consists of that LOOK, and a disapproving shake of the head, as she turns to leave the danger zone.

She knows my best years are behind me.

I think it is warming up. Or numbness is setting in.

This little cottage where we are staying has been voted as the best place that most of us have stayed. Not the building itself, although it is modern and well appointed, but rather the setting. This would be a million dollar home in Melbourne, even though it is small. In this town, a canal view or direct access is almost a given. It is very warm, the back wall is entirely glass, to take advantage of the outlook, and the lawns and gardens are manicured to an inch of their lives. It looks like personal pride and a strong community expectation that you keep your portion of waterfront groomed shows is on show wherever you look. Maybe they are culturally just orderly people.

Another factor that comes to mind is the mess there is to clean up once autumn has passed and the trees and bushes are bare. I know in Spain the local municipalities prune the trees along the town roads and in the plazas, into tight little knuckles, in order to get ahead of the leaves falling. It makes sense, and would a Spaniard lie to me?

Today, Natalia has to work, so the rest of us might hang around here for a while
before venturing out to a nearby village.

Dinner last night was at a popular restaurant, De Lichtfabriek, set up in a converted light manufacturing factory from the early 19th century. The dominant feature of its layout seems to be the lighting, but maybe that’s just a coincidence. A large original gantry with cogs, chains and pulley wheels still spans the room, hanging high above the diners, but there’s nothing 19th century about the food. The waiting staff were very attentive and efficient, with the menu being a mix of local dishes and asian food. We capped off a long but fulfilling day with an evening stroll along the nearby canals.

It’s everything I expected the Netherlands to be .

Sue, Tim, and I visited Delft today, a town in the country of Holland. Natalia had to stay behind and work.

It’s a beautiful place to visit on a cold day. There are warm welcoming cafes everywhere, and cakes to match the coffee. The bike culture is the most noticeable form of transport. Families ride as groups, mothers pick up children from school and ride home together. I noticed a couple of mums leading a couple of
These Were A Complimentary Gift From Our HostThese Were A Complimentary Gift From Our HostThese Were A Complimentary Gift From Our Host

Buttery caramel flavour. The stocks are replenished and I’m good to go again.
children home, while bending over, holding the handlebars of a toddler, not quite able to go it alone. They remind me of ducklings being led to safety by mother duck.

Delft is famous for Delft Handpainted Porcelain, it’s the birthplace of Johannes Vermeer, the Dutch artist best known for painting the work, The Girl With The Pearl Earring. Sue had her photo taken with her face in a wooden portrait of this painting, with the face cut out. You know the sort of cheesy tourist thing. Well, the likeness was remarkable. Under threat of divorce, this image is not among my pictures.

Well, that’s about it today. We are going to watch the last show in the Kleo Series, then we can all move on in life.

The photos have descriptions and information, so that should fill in a few gaps for you.

Tomorrow we are all going to Utrecht, a town about 30 minutes away.

It has just started raining here, so plans can change. If we can stay dry, it is probably still worth the trip.

Cheers until tomorrow


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Acres of two storey green houses line both sides of the road.Acres of two storey green houses line both sides of the road.
Acres of two storey green houses line both sides of the road.

They supply vegetables and flowers to large parts of Europe, all year round. Bit hard to get a decent picture at 120 kilometres an hour.

Tourist Information Machine, Delft.Tourist Information Machine, Delft.
Tourist Information Machine, Delft.

Great idea. Pull the handle and out pops a tourist map. Everyone’s a winner !
The Old ChurchThe Old Church
The Old Church

Notice the church in the background. Over the years it has developed a severe lean to the left.
Stads Kaarsenmakerij, DelftStads Kaarsenmakerij, Delft
Stads Kaarsenmakerij, Delft

This is an artisan candle shop, producing candles the way it has been for centuries. They have a huge range and also sell candle holders that are not found in many locations. We chatted to the owner for quite a while - he thought i might be Irish - and he explained the process, and how Covid induced a career change for this ex teacher.
Wax Vat and Rotating Candle Dipping MachineWax Vat and Rotating Candle Dipping Machine
Wax Vat and Rotating Candle Dipping Machine

The circular rack above the vat dips the candle wicks in 15 times before a candle is produced. It can then be coloured with multiple dips in coloured wash, producing a two tone candle



Kek CafeKek Cafe
Kek Cafe

Our stop for a high sugar lunch break. Apple Crumble and cake.
Kek CafeKek Cafe
Kek Cafe

And the Kek was good. Another place in Europe that makes a good cappuccino. I think we’re up to 5 now.
Bikes are THE mode of transport here.Bikes are THE mode of transport here.
Bikes are THE mode of transport here.

If you’ve heard about the Dutch obsession with bikes as transport, you still have no idea until you witness it. Families all have their own bikes, and toddlers who can’t ride travel on mum or dads bike on a ‘dickie’ seat. There’s no helmets, motor scooters share the same paths, no helmets, and the road toll is remarkably low.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb