Norway tour


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Dordrecht
July 1st 2009
Published: July 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Here we are back home after a fantastic trip to the MG Car Club European Event of the Year in Norway. It was at Geiranger wich is a ENESCO heritage site of beauty. And so it is. We went by ferry from Kiel to Oslo, but on the way back we drove the whole way through Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, then back to the Netherlands. Elton John's massive yacht arrived in front of our hotel as well during our stay. Massive waterfalls, fjords, real drivers roads with hundreds of hairpin bends. Great. There were 250 cars from all over Europe at the event, which was organised to perfection. The biggest hassle going, was the number of very long tunnels carved out of rock. Dead basic with minimum lighting. The headlights on old cars is terrible. No halogen lamps like modern moters. So it was scary. Couldn't see diddly. There was one 25 kilometers long, so we decided to go over the top. What a road. The snow was 4/5 metres deep at the roadside. A tad chilly, but we soldiered on with the roof down as that is what mad old MG drivers do. Each day was better than the last one. We visited a "setter" which is a little farmers village up in the mountains. The road is normally closed, but the MGCC got special permission to have it opened for us to visit. The road up was amazing. We had to stop and take turns to gun it up ridiculously steep gravel tracks. You need to get up momentum and keep going and not to be hampered by slower cars in front. Real seat of the pants stuff, it was great. We saw the biggest vertical drop in Europe, 1 kilometer would you believe. I ain't quite vertical as such, as the top is 50 metres out at the top. People climb it, they are completely barking if you ask me.The last day was car free so folk could spend it as they wished, visiting attractions in the area. Just as well as our car was leaking fuel from the overflow of one of the carburettors. We made it to the hotel, so that was good. The float in the carburettor had stuck. So we couldn't drive. The event had two mechanics, so they tried various remedies to no avail, but they got parts put on an overnight bus from Oslo, then by taxi. So they sorted it in the end.
The last evening was the Gala Diner. The food was great and the highlight for us was Trudy going up on the stage in front of hundreds of people to present 50th aniversary books of MGCC in the Netherlands. There were 3 books, one for the president of MG Norway and she insisted that the two mechanics got the others for their great work in keeping everyone running. So it was a wonderful trip home. We had our TP with us so we camped most nights. Italy next year, can't wait.
Jim & Trudy


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb