The Last Day of 2011


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Utrecht » Utrecht
December 31st 2011
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Fireworks in Utrecht 54 secs
Oliebollen and Appelflappen MarktOliebollen and Appelflappen MarktOliebollen and Appelflappen Markt

Where we purchased the traditional Dutch New Years food. These delicious treats definitely ensure you don't get a head start on your New Year's Resolution!!
After sleeping in this morning, we went out to do a little grocery shopping to get ready for New Year's Eve. Sander and Mike bought Oliebollen (basically very big Timbits) and Appelflappen (basically apple turnovers) from a few local markets. Those are both traditional New Years Eve foods in the Netherlands - they are also both deep fried and artery blocking (but, hey, who are we to break with tradition?!?). Annelie and Elysia went for a short bike ride to the Vuurwerk (pronounced Vvvuur-verk) shop to buy Vuurwerks. What are vuurwerks, you ask? Fireworks of course!

On the way to the firework shop, Annelie ran into a bit of trouble with a fellow country-woman... Suffice to say that she sorted it out with a few sharp comments!

Later in the day, we walked through downtown Utrecht, while we were passing the time for the New Year to arrive. At 6:00, many of Annelie and Sander's friends arrived and we enjoyed a very nice meal of onion soup, spaghetti, and white chocolate cake for desert.

When dinner was finished, the New Year had almost arrived, so the champagne came out, and the countdown began. After ringing in 2012, we
Fresh AppelflappenFresh AppelflappenFresh Appelflappen

Mmmmm... After deep-frying them, they coat them in brown sugar. Like I said: mmmmmm....
all headed outside to watch the show. Annelie and Sander's apartment is on the fifth floor, so we had a very nice view of the city, and the fireworks that were being lit off everywhere. It was absolutely unforgettable! Neither of us had ever seen a fireworks show like that before! Because the fireworks were not organized, but were just being launched ad-hoc by citizens around the city, you saw explosions everywhere!

After enjoying the show for twenty minutes or so, we went down to the street and lit off a few of our own! (Hey - everyone needs to contribute!!) After about half an hour, we came back upstairs, and still, everywhere, fireworks were going off. It was truly spectacular! The Dutch really know what they are doing when it comes to New Years Eve!

We ended up going to bed at about 4, completely exhausted, but very happy. What a day!

Welcome to 2012!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Fireworks BeginThe Fireworks Begin
The Fireworks Begin

They were spectacular! Absolutely amazing. In total over 67 million Euros were spent in the Netherlands on fireworks for New Years.o
Down on the streetDown on the street
Down on the street

Watching our new friends light their fireworks
Another PauseAnother Pause
Another Pause

L-R: Sander, Sander (snuck in there!!), Annelie and Elysia!


Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb