Day 2 - Sad day for the Orange


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dutch PrideDutch PrideDutch Pride

Homes like this were all over the neighbourhood
Well, the game just ended. You all know how it went...I won't dwell.

Today we rode to the Austerlitz Pyramid just outside of town. This was pretty cool to see although halfway up the stairs I remembered about my fear of heights....How do I keep forgetting? It always seems like such a good idea and then I look down. They also had a pretty cool kids playpark! Then we hopped back on the bikes and headed to a little lake close by that had a lovely beach and nice warm water. We ended up completing a mini mini triathalon cuz in the middle of swimming (the swim leg), thunder clouds rolled in and everyone made a mad run for their bikes (picture 100+ people in a bike traffic jam) (this was the run leg - a little out of order), then we made it to the bikes and cycled home. When we got home, the sun came out and shone for the rest of the afternoon. Never did storm. Maybe Nigel WAS right when he kept insisting that it was just trucks passing by!

After chilling in the backyard for a while, we actually drove somewhere for dinner! We
Cycle pathsCycle pathsCycle paths

Nice paths all over town
had an awesome dutch pannekoeke dinner! We've already decided that we'll have to do that again before we come home. Nigel also tried a cherry beer and loved it! The kids had pancakes with chocolate sprinkles (a real dutch thing - they even put those sprinkles on their toast!) Then watched the soccer game right till the bitter end......




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

More dutch prideMore dutch pride
More dutch pride

This little posse was roaming the 'hood with horns yelling "Hup hup Holland!"


12th July 2010

what is this pyramid?
13th July 2010

The pyramid
To answer your question, the pyramid at Austerlitz was built in honour of Napolean. It's akin to a military fort. The high point is always an advantage. It was built out of dirt with grass growing on it to mitigate erosion. It has a obelisk (tower) on top. There are several just like it around Europe.

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.2mb