Twista and Random Waterganging...


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Purmerend
September 20th 2009
Published: November 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ivan, my little brother turned 22 on the 6 July. That Saturday the 11 of July me and Shetal decided to go on an awesome bike ride to Amsterdam Noord. I had found a nice ride that eventually made it to Purmerend and we decided to give it a go.
Shetal hired an awesome bike called Daisy and we headed to Centraal station to catch the ferry over.
On our ride out we saw the coolest little space shit contraption riding along so I stopped to take photos. The next thing we did was loose the route we were meant to be taking to Purmerend. But we ended up riding to the markets in Amsterdam Noord instead were I had herring, me and Shetal got some hot chips/frittes and Shetal brought some Indian Bollywood movies hot damn.
As we had lost exactly where we were exactly meant to go we decided to randomly ride and look for inspiration. We found some signs indicating a road towards Twista and a tree. I was like lets go check out the Twista tree.
It actually turned out to be that Twista was exactly were it was at. Twista was this nature reserve with nice bike riding routes. We chilled out in the sun for a bit, then spotted a
“Random Watergang Route”
We knew this was meant to be. We rode the random route past trees, reeds and lakes. We found some bales of straw to push.

Just there, straight ahead we saw it. The way to Purmerend!
Only 2km to go. We had made it to where we had intended to be all along.
All of sudden disaster struck. Shetal’s tyre popped!
We were no where near civilisation or a train station so we decided to walk the bicycle back until we found someone with a tyre pump.
We did indeed find someone to lend us a tyre pump. We also found out the tyre pump did not fit the tyre of Daisy, the bike Shetal hired. Unfortunately Daisy had a car tyre valve.
The rest of the day was spent trying to get to the ferry port, 16km away via Shetal riding on her flat tyre, walking and me pulling along her bike.
After snapping the chain protector and Shetal most probably getting the biggest blisters we made it back to the centre of Amsterdam.
It was a real adventure and I think deep down we would not have had it any other way😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



13th November 2009

nice!
sounds like an adventure... any special reasonm why the bikes name was daisy? she just looked like one?
19th November 2009

Re: nice
Daisy cause it said it on the frame...

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb