Zuiderzeemuseum


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Enkhuizen
August 14th 2011
Published: May 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After another continental breakfast we drove to a village museum called Zuiderzee in Enkhuizen. It was similar to a place called Beamish in the North East of England,although bigger. The surroundings were great and the whole place was well laid out and a lovely place to visit. There were lots of old buildings made to look like they would have in past years. There were many shops and places of work. There was loads to see including a boat building workshop,old house with typical layouts,a cheese shop,a sweet shop,a pharmacy and much more. There was a choir singing stories of the past in Dutch and about the role women played many years ago. The ambiance was delightful and the experience was thoroughly enjoyable.

Once we had left the museum we headed to a nearby restaurant where our Dutch friends ordered us a delicacy known as 'Bitterballen'. They are little balls of different meats and potato covered in breadcrumbs although there are various other fillings available.

We then rode a boat back across to the car park. We drove for a bit until we reached a dike which is a road built across the water. We sat and admired the scenery for a while as the weather was good. We then returned to our friends house where we were made Frikendel sausage which was very tasty. We then had an early night as we were off to Amsterdam the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb