The Search for Wooden Shoes, Cheese, and Tulips.


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 16th 2011
Published: September 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wooden ShoesWooden ShoesWooden Shoes

They look so comfortable...
It is summer in Amsterdam-- for the first time all year I am told.

I arrived at the Central Station in the afternoon. Since I had yet to acquire a map of the city, I stopped in the Tourist Information Center which is conveniently located outside of the station. Here you could buy and Amsterdam Lonely Planet guide for 19 Euros (about $25) and pay 50 Euro cents to use the bathroom. I quickly fled the area finding Café Versailles, a Cafe with Internet and amazing pannekoeken (Dutch Pancakes). Checking online I found that my friend Sara, was able to get off work.

Sara and I met while studying at Yonsie University in South Korea. We had always talked about visiting each other and low and behold 5 years later it happens. I had a few hours before we met up so I went down a few narrow stone streets full of hostels, tourist traps, and the infamous “Coffee” shops. I went into one with windows open to the street and people relaxing on pillows on the sills. The aroma of cannabis fell heavy in the air, overpowering the usual smell of fresh coffee grounds. I ordered an espresso.
Sustainable House BoatSustainable House BoatSustainable House Boat

Many people live on the canals in either their boats or on floating houses. They utilize the water for growing plants.
In Amsterdam it is legal to sell and buy marijuana and smoke it within the walls of the coffee shops, however it is illegal to grow it in mass quantities. While I was there, I saw on the news that they had just busted a huge green house north of Amsterdam that was growing. To some extent in Anchorage marijuana is not actually an illegal drug. I believe Alaska may be one of the only states where Marijuana is legal to smoke and posses within certain quantities –so long as it is in the privacy of your home. However, it is not legal to buy it or sell it.

Sara and her friend Shahir picked me up at the station. We ended up crashing at Mardon’s apartment in downtown Amsterdam. Amsterdam is a city whose population is larger than the entire state of Alaska. However the Netherlands, or more correctly the Kingdom of the Netherlands, is overall a small country. The Netherlands are also commonly referred to as Holland. For a capitol with less than a million people, Amsterdam, has a “Small Town” feeling for those who live here. Walking around we saw a famous Dutch rapper and also a political figure who is pro gay rights.


One evening we went around town to different bars for Popronde, which happens once a year in various cities through Holland. Numerous artists play at various bars all over the city. We saw some really good performances, and then some not so good ones. Amsterdam is a biking community. There are so many canals and one-way streets that divide the city, that biking is much faster than driving. They have lanes designated specifically for cyclists and motorbikes. This night there were thousands of bikes chained up to bike racks, light posts, fences and anywhere else that held a secure connection to the ground.

The Dutch seem to be more aware of what is politically going on in the US. I met people in Germany who had never heard of Sarah Palin (which I have to admit was refreshing. I was beginning to think she was all people would ever ask about once hearing I was from Alaska). Over dinner, Mardon, Sara and I talked a lot about politics and the differences and challenges that come with large versus small countries.

Friday Mardon took me around the city. We
The Solution?The Solution?The Solution?

With Amsterdam's housing shortages, students have been provided warm Conex Containers to live in. They are colorful; that is all that matters.
walked around the city, over the numerous canals, through the red light district, and to a few markets. It was great to not have to worry about getting lost. We visited the Anne Frank House, where we had a walking tour of the building her father use to work in and then the actual rooms where they had hidden. Overall it was very commercialized, but the story itself was still powerful.

Mardon said that he often wondered what went on in the other buildings around the city at that time. Where were others hiding? What were their stories? Who survived in hiding? What was the story behind the building he was currently living in? In the end I thought they would tie Anne Frank’s story into the bigger picture of what happened in the city, but her story seemed to be the focus. It was odd, as if she and her family were the only ones. In the gift shop at the end there were thousands of books on Anne Frank in many languages.

After six and half hours of walking, we sat down to a traditional Dutch meal with sausage and boiled potatoes mashed with sauerkraut, garlic,
Don't trip on the boobs!Don't trip on the boobs!Don't trip on the boobs!

Nice variation found in the side walk in the red-light district.
onions and butter. It was delicious!

Towards the end of my journey I toured a functioning Windmill. The inner workings of the machine were very interesting as we got to go all the way through the tops floors. The first floor was a museum/gift shop. The second floor was a place where they held marriage ceremonies. On the third floor you had an entrance to the terrace where the bottom of the sails reach. The next few levels were only reachable by small wooden latters. Here you could see the small area where a family would live. Going up further, you could see the more technical inner workings of the gears. All of the gears were made out of wood. This particular windmill that I visited was a poldermill, which raises water from a lower part in the canal in order to control the water level in the polder. The sails themselves can go over 60 miles per hour.

One day we took the ferry over to Northern Amsterdam to visit a flea market. It was really neat to see all of the antiques and knickknacks. Local venders were also selling french-fries and fresh Poffertjes, which are Dutch
Sara and ISara and ISara and I

Sara and I met in Korea when we were studying there over 5 years ago.
mini, thick pancakes with butter and powered sugar. I was in love. The Dutch seem to really like sweet things. A common breakfast is bread with butter and chocolate sprinkles. I am pretty sure I enjoy the German breakfast with bread, butter, and nuss-nougat, which is basically Nutella. I hope my pants fit when I return to the States.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Street BikeStreet Bike
Street Bike

Love the combination of the streets and the walls!
Dutch Draw Bridge Dutch Draw Bridge
Dutch Draw Bridge

Traditional Dutch Design
Center Near Mardon'sCenter Near Mardon's
Center Near Mardon's

My landmark incase I could not find home.
All right parents...All right parents...
All right parents...

While walking your children down the red-light district, be sure to hold their hand!
A "Handicapped Scooter" A "Handicapped Scooter"
A "Handicapped Scooter"

This little guys is considered a "scooter" and can park on the sidewalks. In a city where it costs almost $10 an hour to park, this thing may come in handy!
The Bookcase The Bookcase
The Bookcase

This is the bookcase that his Franks' chamber.
Mardon Loves his Frikadel!Mardon Loves his Frikadel!
Mardon Loves his Frikadel!

Frikadel is like a hot dog/corn dog thing at a Dutch fast food place. If you look in the background you will see that you get your food out of a ovenlike vending machine. Deep fried of course!
Lonely Train Ride Lonely Train Ride
Lonely Train Ride

For the first part of the journey, there was no one else in my train to Amsterdam.
Dutch Dinner!Dutch Dinner!
Dutch Dinner!

Boiled Potatoes with garlic, butter, and sourcrout.
A Girl in every window!A Girl in every window!
A Girl in every window!

You don't really want to see the straight on shot...trust me.


24th September 2011

Great Post!
Great pictures and post. I went to Amsterdam on a day trip before with a friend from India. It looks like you had a great time!

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 25; qc: 120; dbt: 0.1339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb