Amsterdam Antics


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 15th 2006
Published: January 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we drove through the border into the Netherlands and didn't even realise it. On the way to camp we stopped at a clog and cheese making factory. We were shown how they make dutch cheeses and clogs. It was really interesting and funny, especially when the clog maker flirted with Niki - and yep - she bought a set of clogs with a wink.

Then we drove to camp and set up tents for the last time. 10 mins later we were back on the bus and going into town.

Then we arrived in Amsterdam: the in-your-face drug and sex capital of the world. Katie gave us a little spiel about what to expect so that we would be prepared. Sex and drugs are au naturale for them, they don't blink at the thought of either industry. Everything seems to be happening here, both by day and night yet the atmosphere here is soooo kicked back. There is everything you need to have fun here from the innocent (canal cruises, museums - Anne Frank’s house, walking the streets, fantastic restaurants, shopping, etc) to the … not so innocent (sex shows, red and blue light districts, ‘coffee’ shops, sex museums, etc).

Nev dropped us off at the main drag and we had 45 mins to eat dinner before we had to meet up again and squeezed in enough time to try a cherry beer (wink wink). It was good and much nicer than normal beer.

We all met at 8.30 and went for a walk through the Red Light District looking at the sex shops, ladies in the windows and shows everywhere. There were quite a few stoners around and you could smell exactly where the coffee shops were. We saw the women in the windows with blinds up, the men walk in, blinds close and then soon after the men come out with smiles on their faces. There are women with red or blue lights. Red means they are born female, blue means they are/were males. It was all very interesting. There are areas of young, old, older and different races of women- something for everyone. As part of the tour we went to one of the shows at Moulin Rouge - it was actually quite strange that a couple could 'perform' in front of a group of people. The group had mixed reactions to the show; some amused and others shocked and all were impressed by the pole dancing. We ended the night at the BullDog cafe where we had a few drinks, danced and then called it a night (well, considering we were into our last day, we thought we'd get some sleep so we could enjoy it).



With slightly thumping heads first thing we had a full day's agenda ahead of us starting with a cycling tour of Amsterdam. It was fantastic fun, we hadn't ridden bikes for ages, but it was just like, well, riding a bike! We rode in a large group of 30. Cyclists have right of way in Amsterdam which made it a bit easier. There's even a traffic light for bikes to stop, go, etc. It was really fun riding the bikes- loved it! We rode for about 2 hours and went through the park and out of the city, rode past cows and stopped by the water and house boats for a break. We got on the bikes and made it back to the start with only a few close calls for crashes. We then went to the Rijksmuseum (Dutch pronunciation: rɛi̯ks myˈzeʏm) with Julia and Cate. We saw a lot of beautiful paintings and sculptures including Rembrandt's prize painting 'The Night Watch'. Then we wandered around a local market and had a cheap and filling felafel.

Next stop of the day was the Heineken Experience where we met Jo. It was really fun and we enjoyed the simple 'rides'. Half way through we had to stop at the bar and get our beer with our 'free' tokens. It was great tour and at the end we had another drink and got a bottle opener- very useful!
We then stopped at a cafe for a rest. Then went to the tacky Sex Museum (which was just really some disturbing old photos on the wall).

We met the rest of the group and Katie at the train station. Walked to the bus and we changed clothes to go out for dinner. Tonight was on the crew and we were booked to eat dinner at a floating Chinese restaurant. After dinner we all did a canal cruise - all inclusive drinks! (Topdeck are not allowed to advertise this as a 'booze cruise' but for E27 it was all you can drink for 1 1/2 hours - so I don't know what else to call it.) It was so beautiful along the canals, so we all took loads of photos and enjoyed the moment. By the end there were speeches, Kate read her poem she wrote of our trip, tears and loads of laughter - after the cruise we headed out to a bar, then slept in the tent for the last time!!


The tour ended this morning (May 17th). Life goes on.

Today we packed up the tent for the last time (YEAH!) our bags were packed and the bus ready to leave at 8am. We left a few people in Amsterdam, the bus left us at the ferry, and we were then on to our next adventure... to London and beyond.



Kate's poem:

Mega European - 18 countries in 7 weeks
Fun laughter and adventure is what we seek.
An early start out of London
Destination France - a great day one.

A night tour of oiu oiu gay Paris
The lights, the sounds, it was oh so pretty.
We learnt to the bad string man always say no
Or else you'll be missing about ten Euro.

Day two our time in Paris was free
What to do, what to do, so much to see.
Museums, palaces or the Champs Elysee
Let's relax with a coffe along the way.

A champagne picnic was our dinner
Under the Eiffel Tower - a surefire winner.
Our nighttime entertainment was ours to choose
Shopping, a caberet or a Seine river cruise.

Paris to Lauterbrunnen - a big drive day
A should out to Scotty for hurling along the way.
Snow in Switzerland meant speeling in some dorms
On a camping trip I assure you this isn't the norm.

To the top of Jungfrau was day four's activity
With snow capped mountains and St Bernards to see
As part of a dare there was some lunchtime fun
With Ngoc, Des, Earl and Mexico performing an "undie run."

Afternoon options included sliing and some sledding
Flying to fast we couldn't stop ourselves laughing.
It was difficult to steer and impossible to stop
But atleast we didn't have to carry the sleds to the top.

Day five we headed back into French territory
To avignon for a night of karaoke (karioki)
Many people gfot up
Time for a quick cheeky hug for a photoTime for a quick cheeky hug for a photoTime for a quick cheeky hug for a photo

(then back to making the clogs!)
and gave it a whirl
From the Beatles, to the Stones, even "Barbie Girl".

Next it was Barcelona our only stop in Spain
At least we had "Lost" to soften our pain.
Crazy houses galore to be seen in Park Guell
Gaudi had to be on something illegal.

An then onto Nice, a place full of class
Attempted to rollerblad but ended on my ass.
Getting dressed on the bus at the end of the day
Hair, make-up and a cheeky drink along the way.

We were heading up the coast to Monaco
To bet on the horses at the casino.
Some lost, some won
Either way it was fun.

On the way to Venice we stopped at Juliette's Verona
Personally I think Romeo just wanted to bone her.
When in Venice, of course, we took a gondola ride
Watched lace and glass demos and saw the Bridge of Sighs.

Day thriteen we had a quick stop at Pisa's leaning tower
Unfortunately we only had 3/4 of an hour.
Next was Florence, home of Michelangelo's David
Where after a few drinks Nev got naked.

The Uffizi, the Acadamia and the Ponte Vecchio
Artwork, sculptures and Guiseppe's boy Pinocchio.
Spent some time at the jewellery shops before stopping to dine
Delicious florentine steak and bottles of chianti wine.

Travelling further south we stopped at Orvieto
The hilltop city with the zebra stripped Duomo.
Then it was onto Rome to do as the Roman's do.
Protect your bag, camera and money or you'll get it stolen too.

The colosseum, Roman Forum and Vatican's Creation
The Pantheon, Spanish Steps and the beautiful Trevi Fountain.
All this and more including a stop for gelati
Wierd and wonderful flavours so delicious - si si.

Leaving Rome we visited Pompeii so we could see
What happened during the eruption of seventy-nine A.D.
Then we had a coastal driver to the beautiful Sorrento
With a day trip to Capri so see the Blue Grotto.

Disaster struck the next day when Suzie lost her passport
Earl stayed for company so our numbers were two short.
A schedule stuff up meant one more night in Italy
Had an Olympic competiton coz we missed our Greek ferry.

For three days we learnt ouw to sail
an experience from which there are many fine tales.
A midnight code red which some thought was teasing
To a last day swim in water so so freezing.

A full day sailing and driving equaled an arrival late at night
Pitching tents at midnight, no time to see the sights.
The next day was Easter and the major sights were free
So we all lined up at the Acropolis shouting out with glee

The Parthenon in perfect form denies the optical illusion
Even though it's bests parts are in the British Museum.
We said hello to Suzie again and for Earl for just one night
We couldn't convince him to travel on - the money just wasn't right.

It was onto Meteora where some monks in the 14th century
Built on the cliff tops some 24 monastaries.
Then Kavalla with raw sewerage in the bathrooms - class
They knew we were coming - they could've cut the grass!

Next it was Gallipoli an important place for Turkey, Australia and N-Zed
With sleeping bags and three extra jackets we arrived early to find out "bed".
After the dawn service it was long walk up the dusty road
But we can't complain the Anzacs did it with a much heavier load.

A late arrival in Istanbul, once called Constantinople
The palace, the cistern, the blue mosque - all so beautiful.
Every morning, salad for breakfast and music on the telly
In the evening drinking and Brad showing us his belly.

In Sofia our walking tour guide was Noona
Fantastic! Brilliant! Why couldn't we have had her sooner?
The next day we stopped for a bit at medieval Velcro
We walked straight past the ticket gate - how were we to klnow?

Our next country was Romania and it's campital Bucharest
And unlike Michale Jackson and Gearoge Bush we didn't call it Budapest.
Our next drive day was through the countryside of Transylvannia
Famous for Bran Castle and it's legend of Dracula.

In Budapest we had some time to explore the underground caves
The horse, the wine, the room of courage - those were my favs.
After exploring the streets we had dinner at the Fatal restaurant
The biggest schnitzel on the planet - more than you could want.

Ahhh Vienna. A quick set up and we were off to Prater Park
Dodgems and donuts, dodgems and donuts - get ready, take your mark.
An excursion to the Schnapps museum were samples were tasted.
Careful, if see the absynth green fairy - you know you are wasted.

Onto Praha, the stunning city of a thousand spires
Wenceles Square, Prague Castle, and the famous Charles bridge we all did admire.
And if the cheap local beer isn't enough and you want more
Why not spend the evening in a nightclub with five floors.

In Krakow a sleep in was called for a visit to the salt mine
Please don't touch the statues but you can lick the walls and still be fine.
This was followed by a sombre morning visit to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp
The horrors and suffering experienced in those places made our eyes damp.

Our day in Warsaw included a driving tour and free time
Some went shopping, some wandering and others just wanted to unwind.
A very early start as we headed into Berline
Home of the vicotry momument although a world war they've yet to win.

A walking tour or a cycling tour to learn about the thrid reich
The Checkpoint Charlie Museum to hear tales of escaping into the night.
Constant playing of "Looking for Freedom" by The Hoff
Resulted in a "Sunshine slash Freedom" sing off.

Our last stop is Amsterdam home of lots of illegal stuff
But be careful it's stronger here - you could feel a little rough.
Our first night included a real live sex show
Hilarious - Mexico, Troy, Brad, Irish, Jo, Shane, Charmara and Des all gave it a go!

And so our time must come to an end
And we must say goodbye to newfound friends
With email address and promises to keep in touch
We'd all like to say Katie, Brad and Nev - thank you very very much!

The End


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb