Loosing ourselves in Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 7th 2010
Published: August 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woke up quite early, went out for an English Breakfast and then took a train from Earlsfield to London Gatwick to take another Easyjet flight abroad but this time to Amsterdam.
Upon arrival we asked locals to guide us on how to get out of Central Station and literally across the canal and getting run over by millions of cyclists we found our hotel "Bellvue Hotel", a great 3 star hotel close to everything! We dropped our bags, refreshed and then went for a walk for the rest of the afternoon/evening. We walked along Princehendrikgracht and found a shop where you buy food out of a wall, so I had to get something and opted for a beef croquette - yummy!!!!!! Further down we found some canals and then the hash & marijuana museum, so EUR8.50 later we were in there and getting insight into the history and future of dope. We got free tickets into the Hemp Museum which was only 30m down, but we totally missed it and instead came across the Red Light District and what an interesting sight that was! Back to the main strip we wanted to find an authentic Dutch meal and finally found one and I got the croquettes again which I only ever ate here 😊 and then we walked some more through the back of the redlight district where all the coffee shops were, getting high on what was coming out of them in the streets. This stoned black guy then come up to us and warned us to go home as after a certain time it's not a safe area for women like us, so we made our way back to our hotel then and had an early night for once.
Day 2 in Amsterdam, we woke and had breakfast and then made our way by foot to Anne Franks Huis. Waiting for almost an hour we finally made our way into the House/Museum and although I wasn't allowed to take any fotos I managed to sneak a pic of the bookshelf and her diaries. 13 years ago when I was 13 I read this book, on my first ever trip overseas and finally being here in Amsterdam was a dream yet so depressing! It then took us over an hour to walk from Jordan to Museumplein as we wanted to get to the Heiniken Museum but we couldnt find it and yet stumbled across one I Amsterdam sign and Van Gogh's Museum which we skipped because the line was too long! We grabbed lunch instead and I got some croquettes (whats new) with frites and mayo yummy!!! We walked all way back to Central and went into a coffee shop called The Grasshopper...for a first time experience it was advised to go to a bigger more well known cafe. After our purchase we went to a few cheese stores and then onto an hour canal cruise before grabbing a bit to eat and finally after all those hours I started feeling incredibally seedy so we headed back to our hotel as we needed to get up early for our flight back to London in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



24th August 2010

Whats new?
Girls.... how is the trip going??? no more blogs!!!???? hope u r well xx

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb