Amsterdam: Day 2


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 30th 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We started out today with a walking tour starting at Dam Square that technically lasted 4 hours, but then seemed to continue of our own accord after that for another several hours, wandering the canals, and people watching.

Cameron, our tour guide led us through the Red Light District, passed old churches and told us various historical stories. We saw the surgeons tower in the old weigh building, where Rembrandt used to sit for hours watching autopsies from which he would glean inspiration for his paintings. We saw the skinniest house in Amsterdam, the old hidden catholic church, the Anne Frank house, the River Amstel, the Royal Palace, and the tomb of a nun who has to spend an eternity of humiliation under the feet of travelers in the cobblestone of a side street, for losing her virginity.

For dinner we went to the supermarket and grabbed a hunk of cheese, pita, bruschetta sauce and a big ol'bottle of wine and headed to the park to sit amongst bronze statues modeled after Rembrandt's Nightwatch.

Now we're exhausted and taking it easy back at the hostel, and I'm headed to bed, so goodbye for now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb