van gogh


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 23rd 2003
Published: July 23rd 2003
Edit Blog Post

I started yesterday by heading to the Anne Frank Haus early as i had been instructed to do, i went at 9 am when it opened. The mueum was really powerful, laid out exactly as it had been in 1943. As you are walking on the second floor you can really hear the footsteps above you. The actual hiding place is not big, but not as tiny as i imagined it. although after 3 years i can it probobly started to get quite closterphobic. The saddest part is how close to liberation Anne and her sister died...
Walked around the canals a bit diggesting the info, then went to get lunch.
i love a town where one of the sandwich's being offered, for a E1.90 is Tartaar. Yup tatar, my favorite way to eat a steak. Its really simple, buttered bread, the meat, salt, pepper and raw onions.(it comes with a raw egg for an extra .40E) Rachel would love it... ground beef sandwich.

Next up, Van gogh musuem. Absolutely amazing! I never really loved Van Gogh before now. The paintings are so much better in real life. There was a cool exhibit on visual themes in Van Gogh and modern art. Really neat to see how Van Gogh is influencing art.

Todays musuems were The Dutch Resistance musuem... which was really detailed and well done. The comparing the Dutch and Danish Resistance's that had similar phases of compliance and non-complaint, although the Danish had much more autonomy... great history lesson.

Moving on to the jewish musuem i was very disapointed with everything but the architecture (3 old temples) and childrens section were worth the trip.

next to the Staj... i cant spell it or pronounce it , but it is the modern art musuem in Amsterdam. It has a very well rounded collection and an awsome exhibit of anti war posters from the 1960s.

Museumed out i headed to the Tulip market... had to work hard not to buy the 100 mixed bulbs for E15, and settle on the smaller, lighter packs of larger bulbs.
Tomorow on to Brugge...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb