Back in Amsterdam, fiddlers on a rooftop terras, 2 painted rooms, an eviction, and a wedding.


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 14th 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

So first big stop for Peter and myself was hopping on the train from Venlo to Amsterdam, in the process being amused by stories of dykes (and I'll leave it at that!) and the water level being higher than some of the houses.

I've lived for approx. 7 years in Amsterdam, so one could say, I've never really been a tourist in my own town. A little bit different this time... but not much.

With a bit of luck we could stay in a friends appartment for a few days, near the Westerkerk and the Anne Frank house. The queues there were still too long for my liking, so yet again, I did not visit ! Either way, we had a fantastic roof top terras in the unit, from which we could enjoy a few drinks and have breakfast every morning.

I showed Peter around for a day, did the obligatory canal cruise, which was lovely, of course, and then we hopped on another train towards Castricum. With good friend Nicolette and her boyfriend Niels we would do a 15km "hike" through the dutch dunes and forest reserves towards Egmond aan Zee (I dare anyone not from Holland
Paul and Renata's at the start of their big dayPaul and Renata's at the start of their big dayPaul and Renata's at the start of their big day

and yes, it was sunny in Holland this time !!
to look thos 2 town up on Google). Good fun, except Peter ending up with a blister, even just for dipping your feet in the sea at the end, and having a beer and some dutch bitterballen with frietjes and mayo at the finish line!

Evening was spent in Alkmaar in restaurant the Hielander (recomended by Paul, but more of him later), which was quite amusing and very tasty at the same time. It's a scottish restaurant, and the proprietor IS scottish, so anturally, he walks around in a kilt ! PS, next door is an australian restaurant, so even smaller cities in the Netherlands have become quite international by any standard!

Next day, short stroll through town towards the Uitmarkt, the anual opening of the theatre season in Amsterdam. Needless to say I've attended that many-a times, as it's free ! (very dutch, I know). In short, we saw a movie in a very dark room underneath a bridge, and the movie was about the life of eals.... The Brazilian style drum band in the Nemo theatre down the road was much better and more entertaining, of course ! Beforehand we also managed to catch up with Marly and one of her friends. In the eveining we attended, as I've done several times before, the Boom Chicago comedy show at Leidseplein, american improv comedy theatre, with a slightly twisted view on life in Amsterdam. Either way, always good for a laugh!

Sunday was relatively relaxing, a walk in the Vondelpark, a coffee with another friend, Marie, and a movie in the old favourite, Tuschinski.

What else, on Monday I headed down south to Eindhoven to help Erik and Yfke paint their newly aquired house, Peter staid in Amsterdam, and managed to get evicted BigBrother style from the appartment, but did manage to find himself a nice hotel as an alternative.

On Wednesday I was fortunate to attend Renata and Paul's wedding in Uitgeest, which had a very surprising Scottish twist to it all !

On Thursday we had a walk around the old town and canals in utrecht, and also caught up with another friend, Pieter (with "ie") for a nice meal and a few drinks.

Friday, a long bus ride towards Eindhoven again, the local airport, for our first Ryan-Air cheapy flight to Ireland !



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Me in front of the RijksmuseumMe in front of the Rijksmuseum
Me in front of the Rijksmuseum

Unfortunately most of it is closed due to renovations....


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb