Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 16th 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London to Amsterdam

16 July 2007

St. Christopher's at the WinstonSt. Christopher's at the WinstonSt. Christopher's at the Winston

Inside our room at the hotel, with the weird light-box artwork of knees with ears.
Arrived at Schipol airport in Amsterdam in the middle of the day, giving us plenty of time to catch a train to Centraal Station and find our way from there to our hotel (St. Christopher's at the Winston - comfortable, and centrally located, but with some very odd and distracting 'artworks' in each of the rooms. They see this as a drawcard - we weren't so sure.)

After a quick rest, we wandered out to Dam Square to join up with a free walking tour we'd seen advertised in one of the brochures we picked up. This went for about three and a half hours, and gave us a good overview of the main sights in Amsterdam's central area. Our guide, a young Scottish guy now living in Amsterdam and working as a tour guide purely for tips, was knowledgeable and entertaining, giving us plenty of historical facts and fun anecdotes everywhere we went.

On our second (and only full) day in Amsterdam, we walked over to the Zeeburg region, to find where we had to catch the bus from the next day (and established that we'd take a tram next time!), and from there continued on to look
Dam SquareDam SquareDam Square

Right near our hotel, and the starting point for the walking tour.
at the area around Museumplein (so named because of the four museums around the square). We spent some time in the Van Gogh museum, which holds the largest collection in the world of Van Gogh's paintings and drawings, then wandered home via Rembrandtplein, a buzzing area full of cafes and restaurants.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

SpuiSpui
Spui

A square in the centre of Amsterdam, known as a place for book-lovers - there are a number of bookshops around the square, and a book market is held there every Friday. The square is also known for its history as the meeting place of the 'Provo' counterculture movement, who gathered around the statue of the young street urchin that you can see on the left hand side.
MultatuliMultatuli
Multatuli

Statue of Multatuli, a well-known Dutch author. The guy on the left is our tour guide.
Singel 166Singel 166
Singel 166

Apparently the narrowest house in Amsterdam. (although there appear to be a few competitors for the title.)
Museumplein 2Museumplein 2
Museumplein 2

Rijksmuseum in the background.
RembrandtpleinRembrandtplein
Rembrandtplein

A 3D scuplture version of Rembrandt's famous painting 'The Night Watch', in Rembrandtplein.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb