Sex, Drugs and Alcohol


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 18th 2005
Published: July 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

If you haven't guessed, we have arrived in Amsterdam and have been here for a full day. On our train ride from Brugge to Amsterdam we came to realize that our hostel was smack dab in the middle of the red light district and that the street we were located on boasts wall to wall brothels!! For any of you who don't know, Beth absolutely hates porn, strippers, prostitues etc. etc. so we found it pretty ironic that we were staying in the middle of everything that is bad in Amsterdam!! We decided to give it a try and checked into and paid for our 18-bed hostel. After climbing 3 flights of steep stairs we got to our room who had one guy passed out and another guy so cracked out on who knows what he could barely function, he was trying to drink orange juice and barely made it. So we locked EVERYTHING up in these old oil cannisters and went for a walk and had dinner. Then we decided to check out the cheap hotels in the area (outside of the red light district) and found a nice hotel and decided to cut our losses with the hostel and check out. We then ran back and said no way in hell are we staying here. The receptionist guy made a smart ass comment "You should know this place isn't for couples!" We thought, this isn't a place for anyone! We didn't know who or what drugs would walk through the hostel door.

We did have a walk through the red light district our first night here and wow, what a crazy area! There were window prostitues (We saw a guy walk out of one after a "session"!), live sex shows, sex shops everywhere, you couldn't walk anywhere without smelling weed and also tons of "coffeeshops" That was quite the experience.

After that fiasco we've been having a lovely time. Today we toured the Van Gogh Museum which was quite amazing with many great paintings! We tried to tour the Heineken Brewery but that was closed on Mondays, so we missed it. We also toured the Anne Frank house which was very interesting and sad. We actually found a cheap place for lunch today, so that was a nice break from spending money like crazy! Otherwise we walked around nearly all day and enjoyed the architecture and canals of the city.

Tonight is going to be an early night as we are leaving at 7:30 am for Berlin.

We love hearing back from everyone, so keep sending messages or e-mails!

Take Care,
Beth & Justin



Advertisement



18th July 2005

E-Video
Thanks for the e-video guys! That was really neat. For the rest of you that didn't get it - HAHAHA! I am the better friend! PS - Bonzer's isn't the same without you :(
18th July 2005

Hello
It sounds like you guys are having fun!!! I just wanted to say hi!!! Hope all is well!!!
18th July 2005

sorry
Hey i think i sent a message that maybe had one word and then i pressed send...oops~ It is good to hear that you guys are having a good time- It is awesome to hear about all of the cool stuff you are seeing~ Take care and hope to hear from you two soon- Beth- Nikki passed the NCLEX, just FYI Later- Sara
19th July 2005

Brothel
Justin - just cause your hanging around a brothel does not give you permission to touch my daughter
19th July 2005

So Justin you're telling us that the red light district wasn't a good place to propose? Just kidding! Hope everything is going well.
22nd July 2005

location, location, location
fantastic to see your video and hear of your great adventures around every corner. location is important-good thing you didn't go to london-it just got bombed again. stay safe and keep having fun from here to anywhere. can't wait to hear more stories-love ya lots and miss you-

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb