Amsterdam: Dutch Masters and Rainy Walks


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
October 30th 2021
Published: October 30th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The rain that falls today, doesn’t fall tomorrow.- Dutch saying

Well, I’m not sure about that proverb, because the forecast is for rain again tomorrow. Ah well, we are used to rain and at least we got a mostly sunny day yesterday.

We started the day very early, as we both woke up basically in the middle of the night and couldn’t get back to sleep. It’s hard adjusting to the 9 hour time difference. Later we enjoyed a very lovely breakfast in our B&B. Katrien left us a tray with an assortment of breads and croissants, butter, jam, two different cheeses, boiled eggs, yogurt with fruit, sliced ham and roast beef, juice, and oranges. What a feast! There is coffee and a coffee maker in our room, so we also had some very good coffee with “koffiemelk” (kind of an evaporated milk, which was very good).

Thus fortified, we set out, in the rain (it was a gloomy rainy day all day today), to the location for our covid tests, which were quick and easy. Nothing like the time we got tested at home, back in 2020. That was quite horrible, very uncomfortable, but this time they
Kitchen and dining areaKitchen and dining areaKitchen and dining area

Beautiful old ceiling beams
didn’t stick the swab in so far and it was just fine. An odd tickling sensation, but nothing much. We had some time after our appointments, before our 10:30 timed entry to the Van Gogh museum, so we wandered over to an Albert Hejn, a very nice grocery store chain, to have a look. They have very inexpensive wine, and very nice looking products. We had thought we would take an Uber to the museum, but we decided to walk instead, and this time we didn’t get lost! Google maps led us there quite nicely. It was about a 30 minute walk (in the rain). We both wore our new Vessi shoes, which I found very comfortable (and they are waterproof which is a necessity what with the rain and stepping in lots of puddles).

It was good we had booked our tickets online ahead of time, as the museum was sold out for the day and I saw several people who wanted to visit being turned away. We got in quickly, picked up our prebooked multimedia guides, and spent a couple of hours seeing the highlights of the museum. The museum has free lockers, which was very handy to store our coats and umbrellas. We really enjoyed the museum, and the multimedia guide was excellent. It not only explained the various paintings (you could choose highlights of the museum, or just enter the number of the particular painting you wanted more information on), it also provided clear directions to the various paintings. I definitely recommend the multimedia guide. We also enjoyed the very nice gift shop on the way out. We had a couple of hours until our 2:30 timed entry to the Rijksmuseum, and we really wanted to sit down for awhile, so we wandered over to the Rijksmuseum cafe, hoping to have lunch, but unfortunately there was no availability (we should have reserved when we booked our entry tickets). We found another restaurant close by, and shared a sandwich and fries, washed down with a Heineken for Susan and a glass of rosé for me. We finished with an excellent cappuccino.

After lunch we headed over to the Rijksmuseum (we were 1/2 hr early for our entry but that was no problem). The Rijksmuseum was also sold out for the day. The lockers were all taken but we hovered around for awhile and pounced on one as soon as someone was leaving theirs. We picked up our prebooked multimedia guides, and we were off on our highlights tour. We also enjoyed the Rijksmuseum, which is located in a very beautiful building. The grand hall is quite something. The museum’s most famous painting, Rembrandt’s “The Night Watch” is undergoing detailed examination, so it is behind plexiglass and there is a machine partially blocking it. Like many of the Rijksmuseum paintings, it is huge!

After we finished the highlights tour and collected our things, we had had enough of walking (plus it was pouring out) so we took an Uber back to the B&B, and had a short rest. A bit later we headed out for dinner (we had 6 pm reservations at Jottum, a tapas restaurant in the Jordaan neighbourhood). It was about a 20 minute walk, but the rain had mostly stopped at that point. We shared four different tapas dishes, along with draft beer, then walked back to our B&B. The streets are very busy, there are obviously lots of tourists in Amsterdam (weekends are particularly busy), and there are large crowds everywhere. We avoided getting run over by cyclists, and made it
Me on the walk to the Van Gogh museumMe on the walk to the Van Gogh museumMe on the walk to the Van Gogh museum

Navigating with Google maps on my phone.
back to our B&B safe and sound. We are located in a busy area, and the view of the canal and the Oude Kerk is fantastic, but it is quite noisy at night. Because it is a Saturday (and Halloween) it is particularly busy and noisy tonight. Ear plugs and a sleeping pill tonight should ensure a very badly needed good night’s sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Van Gogh museumVan Gogh museum
Van Gogh museum

One of the famous “Sunflowers” paintings. It just glowed.
Van Gogh museumVan Gogh museum
Van Gogh museum

“The Potato Eaters”


31st October 2021

Memories
We are enjoying your blogs. It brings back memories for us. Thanks ?. Joan.
2nd November 2021

Great memories
Hi gals? So pleased you are travelling again. Grant & I were in Amsterdam prior to doing a Scenic cruise to Budapest. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there as opposed to the Scenic cruise! It was my idea to give Grant a relaxing trip with all that that entails. WRONG. Low water levels had us on buses, changing boats & frequently changing itineraries. We did our own thing on either end of the cruise though which was lovely. 2020 & 2021 have sent multiple health challenges for Grant but he is much improved & we hope to be able to travel soon. I am considering retirement in 2022 when I turn 70 after 53 years of nursing. Keep safe & enjoy your safari. We are reading your blog with great enjoyment.?
2nd November 2021

Great memories
Great to hear from you Chris! Sorry to hear about Grant’s health problems, but glad to hear he is doing better. Susan is retired and I am hoping to in 3 years. You are overdue to retire! I hope you both are able to travel soon. Thanks for reading my blog!
2nd November 2021
Our breakfast feast!

Nice looking breakfast
BnB's make it so easy
2nd November 2021

Amsterdam
I believe it would take weeks to see all the museums in Amsterdam. I'm glad you booked early. Sounds like a great time.
21st November 2021

Amsterdam
Gosh, well done for making an enjoyable day out of the rain and the jet-lag! Two great museums ticked off, and well done for booking your timed entry tickets in advance ? I remember spending a lot of my time in Amsterdam trying to avoid the cyclists, and the trams! I love your Potato Eaters recreation scene ?
21st November 2021

Amsterdam
Thanks Alex! We were surprised it was as busy as it was in Amsterdam, so I’m really glad we got the timed entry tickets ahead of time. I would love to go back, preferably when the weather is a bit warmer and sunnier!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb