Interailing


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
June 18th 1991
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.3738, 4.89095

Arrived in Amsterdam & got tram to where some accomdation in the guide book said & booked into to a 'hotel' interiorally decorated completely in beauty-board. The guy said how long do you want to stay we said 2 or 3 days maybe & he said no say the exact number now as I run my business not you! Dutch effiency ??

Anyway had great old time as it's a sublimely beautiful place to wander around -
from the dainty Melkmeisjesbrug around Herengracht to the imposing, cast-iron Blue Bridge is a very pleasant walk. The "Gentleman's Canal" is the loveliest in the city, lined with merchants' mansions topped by beautiful gables, and includes the classic "Golden Bend" - an arc of sheer opulence. The heart of Amsterdam is a semicircle, comprised of concentric 17th- century canals - Singel, Herensgracht, Keizersgracht and Prinsengracht - that ripple outwards from the central station so its easy to navigate. Of course then there the coffee houses, bars, of course 'The Bull Dog' etc. On Saturdays the Waterlooplein area behind the Musiektheater is given over to a vast street market so had great mooch around the retro clothing, books or prints.

Then decided to head for Prague ....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb