Fire and suicide.


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Brabant » Eindhoven
September 24th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I haven't blogged in a few days, and I SWEAR there's a reason! I don't want to bore you with all that mumbo jumbo about "how my classes are going." That being said, the amount of work that we get here is astonishing. Like, truly mind-boggling. I'm talking about reading 4 plays, crafting a presentation on the Greek Chorus, write a paper on the Palestrina Style (whaddya know, daddy-o?), and read 5 chapters of Politeia, of which we haven't seen yet: the teacher was supposed to email us the chapters, but they never arrived. Hmmmm...

Kelsey and I did have quite the adventure yesterday, however. We had planned to go to book a train to Paris next week. It's not completely necessary, but it's a good security. Eindhoven is a rather large city in a province about 1 1/2 hours north of Limburg. To get there, we had to take a bus to Venlo, and then a commuter rail to Eindhoven. This all worked out fine, and we were on the compartmentalized train headed to our destination. Suddenly, the train stopped, rolled into the next station, and didn't budge for 45 minutes. There were announcements on the intercom in Dutch, however, since my ear isn't that good with fast-paced languages, I hopped over to the next compartment to ask the lady what they had just said. It turned out that there was a fire on the tracks at the Eindhoven station, and all trains were currently disabled until further notice. We had to get off the train, and get a bus, which took an additional half hour-45 minutes. After the wait, it was still about a 45 minute ride to Eindhoven. We got to the station at 6:20 PM, only to find that the booking counter for international trains closes at 6 PM.

Yeah.

So, Kelsey and I decide that we're going to head back to Venlo. We caught the train fine, and went through several stops. We were stopped at a place called Deurne, when the train started to move...backwards? We stared at each other slowly. It was too improbable for it to be true. Not only that, but there appeared to be NO ONE on the train.
I found a friendly conductor, who informed us that the reason we were going back to Eindhoven was because someone had committed SUICIDE on the tracks at Venlo, which instantly made me really sad. However, he said, we could get off at the next stop, and catch a train to Venlo from there. We thanked him and did so, but that train only took us one stop before we had to transfer to a different train. We finally got into Venlo at around 8:30, caught the bus to Well at 9:00, and made it back to the room by 9:30.

The whole castle thought we were dead.

Well, not EVERYONE, but lots of people did. Including our roommate, Alysia, who was certain that she'd have two empty bunks in the same room with her for the remaining portion of the semester.

C-C-C-CRAZY!!!!

Anywho, I have Agamemnon to read, and Nyquil to take. Love you all, and I can't wait to see you when I return!

Hearts,

T

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb