Monaco


Advertisement
Monaco's flag
Europe » Monaco » Monte Carlo
February 4th 2011
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Leaving behind the Mistral winds (those strong, ever-present, cold winds from the north which easily pierce any protective layers of clothing) for the gentle, warm breezes of the Mediterranean coast, we set out for Nice and Monaco. Sylvie (our hostess) thought our plan to be a bit on the “crazy” side, and looking back on the adventure, it was a bit hectic, but all worthwhile for the experience of Monaco and French Riviera.

Our journey was made possible by the ever-fuel efficient and ever-compact Peugeot. We set out on the French highways, whose toll system makes the NJ Turnpike seem like a small charitable donation by comparison. However the road was smooth, well-signed (with a few exceptions) and offered a panoramic view of the Provencal countryside. There’s no grander entrance to Nice than seeing it from a distance as we slowly approach. With the mountains on our left and the sea on our right, we arrived in the city, our first stop. It was a brief stop, as we docked the Peugeot and ‘upgraded’ to the regional rail system of the Cote de Azur.

We then arrived in Monaco, the Principality of His Serene Highness, Prince Albert II. Even the very, very long train station, elegantly decorated in marble, says “this is a city for the wealthy.” As we emerged from the station, we were pleasantly surprised by the warm, temperate climate and awed by the exotic cars and luxurious yachts that call Monaco their home port. The first stop on our tour of the city was the ever-famous Monte Carlo casino, location of the Grand Prix. While the casino itself was smaller than one expects, it offers an elegant and personal atmosphere. All the staff were clothed in tuxedos, from the dealers to the porters, and all exuded an attitude of French (or Monacan) hospitality. As Joe contemplated playing a few hands, he quickly reconsidered, realizing the minimum bet was 100 euro.

After touring the casino, we strolled along the marina and stopped for lunch at an outdoor cafe whose view was framed by the marina and the city. After a scenic walking tour by the palace, we made our way back to the train station, where we said a sorrowful good-bye to the city-state of Monaco - hoping one day to return with enough money to enjoy it. The little we saw of Nice was nice too, and perhaps one day (preferably a summer day) we can return there as well to take in all that the beaches and the city have to offer.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb