Learning Something New Every Day


Advertisement
Moldova's flag
Europe » Moldova
August 18th 2010
Published: August 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The best thing about living in a different country is noticing and learning about all of the cultural difference. Every day I am so fascinated and amused by the new things I learn...

Observations:

-Fitted sheets are an American thing.

-There are many pricing paradoxes...for example, produce and fresh food is super cheap. So are electronics. Clothes and housewares are expensive. We spent more on hangers today than our next three meals will cost.

-Ever notice how your carrots in an American grocery store are all the same size, shape, and color? Not here. They are caked with dirt and look like they just came out of someone's garden...and they probably did. And I love it!

-Giving a box of wine as a gift is not at all tacky...and a common practice as a house warming gift. Our landlord gave us a box a delicious white wine today. Thank you Valentine & Tatiana.

-Women here love their high heels. Men love their tank tops.

-It seems to be common practice to plop down in any grassy area on the side of the road and have a picnic. Don't forget the 2 liter of beer.
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

The Children's Theater downtown.


-Bold, textured, metallic wallpaper is in.

-It is acceptable to speak to anyone on the street, with no fear of them being rude or crazy.

-We had a pot luck dinner and almost everyone brought fresh fruit or vegetables.

-When getting on the local bus, you sit first and then pass your money up from your seat. I still don't know how the driver keeps track of who has paid.

-The equivalent to American "bar snacks" like pretzels and peanuts are small dried fish, sort of like "fish jerky". Weird, tasty, and salty.

-Wild dogs are common and may be friendly or unfriendly. One never knows.

-When riding the "Maxi Taxi" a mini bus that is meant to hold about 15 people, it is common for the driver to continue letting people on when you think there is no way one more person will fit. I swear there were 50 people on our Maxi Taxi yesterday.

And...my favorite: When men are present, women should not lift a finger. Guess who will be carrying our groceries home from the market for the next year 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



19th August 2010

AWESOME!!
Oh my gosh! I love your pictures. Especially the muscular weredog beast. I seriously had to study that figure before I figured out what it was. I thought it was some sort of dragon creature. LOL!! I'm so excited for you guys!!! I cant wait to see more! Love you!
19th August 2010

Love the photos!
Thank you so much for the wonderful blog. You might not have so much time to write when classes begin, but your audience out here will enjoy every word and every beautiful photo. I'm glad that you are finding your adventure so much fun.
20th August 2010

Looks Great
Glad you made it!! Nick, did you find a razor :) More pictures
23rd August 2010

Ha Ha
At first, I thought the weredog beast was a naked lady!
30th August 2010

You could be right! I am still unsure of what this forbidden beast is... LOL :)

Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb