Gozo & Comino


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta
August 27th 2014
Published: August 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.0722, 14.2358

This morning was yet another very early start as we wanted to beat the crowds to the Blue Lagoon - a sheltered inlet in the tiny island of Comino, halfway between Malta and Gozo. After having traveled south all week, we decided to use our location near the ferry port to our advantage. Up, fed and out to the port we went. Not having done any research we were fairly surprised to see boats to Comino and Gozo leaving from 3 different locations; we were just expecting the one. We decided to carry on with our original plan and hopped on a boat heading to Comino at 9:10am. As we'd come to expect in Malta, the beach was practically non-existent. Instead we hired a sunbed to dump our stuff and then slid down the rocks and into the crystal clear, sandy bottomed water. It was beautiful. So clear, clean and populated with only a few small fish. We were well organised today and had a ball to play with so we floated away the next few hours swimming and playing catch - heaven.

Around 11:30/12pm, the tourist boats from Valletta and the South arrived and we decided it was now time for us to beat a hasty retreat. The Blue Lagoon was wonderful early morning; not so much when it is full of trip boats and people. We made our way back to the mainland and then hopped on the surprisingly full, half-hourly car-ferry from Malta to Gozo. About 15 minutes later and we were on Gozo (only a day or two ahead of Brad Pitt!) and on a bus heading up the hill towards the center of town.

There are plenty of things to see on the west-side of Gozo that we didn't make it too. We were too tired, feeling the effects of too much sun and pretty much done with sightseeing. We wandered around Gozo centre, up the hill to the Citadel and the old Cathedral and Prison, found a lovely spot at the top for lunch. Looked down and around Gozo from our view point and then spent some time wandering the small, narrow, surprisingly car full, streets. We wandered in and out of small, independent shops (Laura), drank endless espressos (and Laura) and decided we'd had enough and it was time to go back (Chris and Laura!).

Back to the mainland via the car-ferry it was and then to a wonderful restaurant in Mellieha built in an old war-shelter for a typical Maltese dinner- bliss.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb