Sore Stomachs in Stunning Malta


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta
March 27th 2006
Published: April 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London to Malta


Azure WindowAzure WindowAzure Window

Look at those white legs!
Matt:

Since arriving in the UK, I have been surprisingly healthy. While Ed has been battling constant colds and a minor bout of pneumonia, I have mocked his weak constitution and told him that my strong European genes made me better suited to living in cold and wet places.

And so it was probably karma when found myself waking up on the morning that we were due to leave for Malta with an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. The night before I had arrived home late from work and picked up a pizza. Unfortunately our local pizzeria, although making great tasting food, doesn’t have the best hygiene standards and has left us with a queasy feeling the last couple of times we’ve eaten there. I decided to play Russian Roulette with my intestines and it seemed that I was now paying the consequences!

The most annoying part of the whole thing was that Ed was fine! Although eating as much (if not more!) of the poisoned pizza as me, he unfairly woke up feeling fab! It seems that although we Europeans are built to withstand the cold and rain, those South Americans have stomachs of
Maltese busMaltese busMaltese bus

They love Jesus (and sexy girls)
steel!

Ignoring the stomach contractions (which were at 30 minute intervals), we headed out early in the morning bound for Gatwick and our flight to Malta.

Our flight with BA was pretty uneventful. Apart from a couple of passengers ordering double scotch and Cokes at 7.30am, the most surprising thing was seeing how small Malta is from the air! The country is tiny - just three little specks in the middle of the Mediterranean. In fact it is so small that the airport’s runway stretches pretty much coast to coast!

To tell the truth, despite growing up in Sydney’s west surrounded by Maltese, I didn’t really know much about the country. In the weeks leading up to our trip I’d had a few conversations with a couple of Maltese mates (thanks Wayne!) and a quick read of the four pages in Lonely Planet dedicated to the islands, but I still didn’t really know what to expect. And so after landing, we headed to the tourist office at the airport and spoke to a round little Maltese woman behind the counter who loaded us up with maps and brochures patted us on the back, pointed us in the
Valetta architectureValetta architectureValetta architecture

Every street corner is a photo op!
direction of the taxi rank and said that we were about to have a fantastic time. It was all very reassuring!

Our hotel - the San Marina - was in St Julian’s, a beachside suburb around 5kms from the capital, Valetta. As our cab pulled up at the palatial reception area, I knew that I had done well booking this one - it was right on the water, had a marble foyer the size of the Taj Mahal and the staff wore tophats, jackets and bowties - real classy! After arriving at reception however, we were told that we had been upgraded free of charge to the sister hotel - the San Gorg - which was up the road.

Normally the words ‘free’ and ‘upgrade’ in the same sentence would have sent alarm bells ringing. Unfortunately, by this stage my contractions were at 20 minutes and all I wanted a quiet bathroom to sit and feel sorry for myself in. We got into the free cab (there’s that word again!) and drove up to our new digs.

The San Gorg will be more spectacular and impressive than its smaller sister. That is, when it is completed in
Valetta's Grand HarbourValetta's Grand HarbourValetta's Grand Harbour

Lives up to its name
September 2007! Unfortunately, our friendly receptionist forgot to tell us that the sister hotel was still under construction. In order to get to our room, we had to walk through the temporary reception area (picture a builder’s shed with better lighting), go down one level in a lift, walk across the restaurant area and through the hair salon, take another lift up three levels and walk down a maze of corridors! I wouldn’t have minded that much except for the whole food poisoning thing - I just made it to the security of our bathroom in time!

Eventually, after what felt like hours, I emerged exhausted and we headed into Valetta on the bus. The buses in Malta are great! Most are between 40 and 50 years old, but are kept in amazing condition. Although all painted yellow and orange on the outside, the interiors are individually decorated - most are blazoned with a religious proclamation (Although ‘I Love Jesus’ seems to be the most popular, I did see one with ‘I Love Sexy Girls’) and have streamers and flags on the front. Very kewl!

After a 20 minute trip we arrived in the capital. Valetta is one
Ed and ValettaEd and ValettaEd and Valetta

He kinda looks like a local, doesn't he?
of those cities where you could easily get an RSI injury in your clicking finger from taking so many photos! Pretty much every major power in history has invaded the city at some point in time and each has left their mark on the town; the architecture ranges from Turkish in some areas, to French, British and German in others. What’s more, the city is built on a rocky cliff face that falls away into a spectacularly blue harbour. Even this sick Sydneysider was impressed!

First up we called in at the spectacular St John’s Cathedral, an enormous high-baroque church decorated with marble inlaid floors and walls and ceilings covered in mosaics and carvings. We then went for a walk around the amazing streets before the poisoned pizza from the previous night got the better of me and I fled home.

After trying to catch a cab for 20 minutes we ended up hopping on a bus and making it home. We ended up making it back to our half-complete hotel and I crashed in a heap for the rest of the night.

The following day and feeling a little better after my 14 hours of sleep,
Ha!Ha!Ha!

Those un-PC Maltese crack me up!
we decided to head to Gozo, which is the smaller of two main islands that make up the country. We caught another museum-worthy antique bus to the port on the north of the island and boarded the ferry for the 45 minute trip.

After arriving at Gozo we rented a jeep from another round Maltese woman who sold plastic souvenir goats from a shed near the port and headed off to tour the island.

Now when I said that every power in history had left some mark on Malta’s buildings, driving around Gozo we got the feeling that they had also all left a little piece of bitumen as well. The roads are literally a patchwork quilt of historic potholes and dust, interspersed with the occasional section of tar. It was definitely not the sort of road surface someone that is suffering from food poisoning looks forward to!

Apart from the road surfaces, Gozo was awesome! Our little jeep took us first to Xaghra, a cute town on the north part of the island built around a tree lined square and dominated (like most things in Malta) by an enormous Catholic church. Apart from being totally gorgeous, the town boasts perhaps the crappiest museum in Europe, built inside an old windmill. While Ed waited outside, I paid the old Maltese guy sitting on a rocking chair at the door to see Malta’s largest collection of rusted bedpans…

On the way out of town, we saw a signpost to something called ‘Ninu’s Cave’. Intrigued, we followed the signs down the back streets and were led to an ordinary looking house with a doorbell. Feeling a bit like Brad and Janet in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, we rang the bell half expecting a hunchbacked butler to greet us. Instead we were met by an ancient hunchbacked Maltese women with a walking frame who led us through her lounge room and into the kitchen and launched into a well rehearsed script about the ‘famous’ Ninu’s Cave.

It turns out that one day in the early 1800’s, an obviously thirsty Ninu was digging for water when he came across a network of limestone caves. Forever the opportunist, Ninu immediately built a house over the entrance and started opening the place up for tours. I guess he had a grand vision of turning the place into Gozo’s answer to Jenolean…

After finishing her history lesson, the old woman motioned towards a set of stairs at the back of the kitchen that descended into blackness. Although we half expected her to hobble down the stairs and give us the tour herself, she sent us down on our own with instructions to ‘switch the light off on the way back up’. The caves were impressive, even if the whole experience was a tad surreal.

Next on the itinerary was a visit to the temple of Ggantija, a set of 5,500 year old ruins that are credited as being the oldest free-standing structures in the world. Although pretty remarkable, you had to use your imagination to get the full picture.

We then headed off to the Western part of the island and visited the Azure Window, a massive natural stone bridge that was very wow!

Frome there we drove to a set of 200 year old salt pans where I met George, a local that looked old enough to have been involved in their construction. Although blessed with just three teeth, George managed to tell me that the pans had been in his family for a hundred years. Unfortunately, they were no longer productive because salt could be bought cheaply from Australia. I joined him in cursing Saxa Table Salt in my best fake German accent and quickly left the area.

The remainder of our time on Gozo was spent crisscrossing the island, visiting the main city, Victoria and thrashing the hell out of our jeep’s suspension.

The next day we decided to try our hand at diving and so headed down to the local school for a quick lesson. For anyone that hasn’t been diving before, shut down your computer now and head for the nearest ocean! Our Russian guide, Sveta led us around several underwater ravines where we saw tons of morays, starfish and octopus and coral. It was amazing!

Next we hired the smallest (and most embarrassing) car in Malta and headed off to search the main island. First on the list was the ferry port again to catch a launch to the Blue Lagoon on Comino, a tiny island halfway to Gozo.

Although its name conjures up images of a half naked Brooke Shields (yuk!) running around an island with a fully naked Christopher Atkins (hmm!), the Maltese version of
Our JeepOur JeepOur Jeep

(Accidently shot in B&W) Don't I look like some war correspondent?
the Blue Lagoon is stunning. It’s actually a quiet little bay enclosed by rocky cliffs that totally live up to its name - it is filled with pure blue water. Ed and I found a sandy strip and spent the rest of the afternoon sizzling and recharging our Vitamin D batteries.

After returning to Malta, the rest of the day was spent exploring the rest of the island. We visited the old city of Rabat, known as being the resting place of St John and went driving along the south coast. We then headed back to Valetta for a quick bite to eat before driving to the airport for our flight home.

And this is where our Maltese experience ends - or rather was supposed to end. Unfortunately after checking in our bags, we were told that our flight home (which was not due to depart until 11.30pm) had been delayed by a further four hours. I quickly did the math and worked out that the delay meant that we would now not be arriving back into Gatwick until 5am the following morning. I also worked out that after travelling home, I would only have enough time for
Ed...Ed...Ed...

...and some random stunning valley on Gozo
a two hours sleep before getting up and heading to work for a 9am meeting.

I have never been that good at maths - I actually ended up getting 40 minutes sleep!

Despite the lack of sleep, the stomach contractions and the potholes, we had an awesome time in Malta. Although just three specks in the middle of the Med, the country is crammed with heaps of sights, amazing food and great people! We hope to be able to make it back soon!

Anywho - hope all is going well back home. The weather in London is slowly improving, the place is beginning to look a bit greener and we can feel summer just around the corner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Me...Me...
Me...

...and some other random stunning valley on Gozo
XaghraXaghra
Xaghra

Known for its fountains, windmills and rusted bed pans
Ninu's CaveNinu's Cave
Ninu's Cave

One of the many must do things in Malta!
Ninu's CaveNinu's Cave
Ninu's Cave

Imagine having this underneath your kitchen!
GgantijaGgantija
Ggantija

Not in bad nick after 5,500 years
Azure WindowAzure Window
Azure Window

I think Bette said it best: From a distance the world looks blue and green...
Salt pansSalt pans
Salt pans

Brought to you by the good people at Saxa!
VictoriaVictoria
Victoria

Very wow!
Random Maltese ChurchRandom Maltese Church
Random Maltese Church

It's a very Catholic country!
Diving in MaltaDiving in Malta
Diving in Malta

There's nothing quite like men in head to toe rubber!
The Blue LagoonThe Blue Lagoon
The Blue Lagoon

Those Maltese love their literal place names (Stunning!)
CominoComino
Comino

a.k.a the smaller of the three small islands of Malta


11th April 2006

Fantastic Photo's
Wow, Malta does look stunning. Why would people want to leave. Oh and Matthew you do look very slim in all the photo's. I think I will have to visit that pizza place when I visit. Leaves Jenny Craig for dead. Love Mum
11th April 2006

WOW!
The pictures of Malta look absolutely stunning. I'm rethinking the countries I want to see each time I read your blogs!
11th April 2006

Flee in the opposite direction
Great photos, but Malta is the pits. It's dirty, a dog's toilet, broken roads, pavements, rude people, terrible food, boring to the point of wishing it had sunk to the bottom of the sea and the Church has the people under its heel to such an extent they cannot breathe. Dozens of people were ill when I was there and gave me a terrible bug which took twelve weeks to get rid of when I returned home. I beg you, if you're tempted by these photos, think twice.. they're illusions.
1st May 2006

entertaining blog
I loved reading your blog on your visit to Malta. Full of insights. It may be true that I have a rose tinted view of the baroque city of Valletta, but I agree completely when you say every street corner is a photo op. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Take care. Aldo
1st May 2006

Comments from a Malteser
I really enjoyed reading your blog about my country, you cracked me up. Its true we have a lot to improve on, and the pot holes are never-ending, but we also have a lot to offer. So im sorry for the 'truepathfinder' who had a bad experience in Malta - hope you tried to venture away from the Bugibba and St. Julians area, the rest of the island(s) is really not that bad. Just a word of advice - if anyone is thinking of visiting in July or August, its peak time and very hot, so you have been warned! (if you cannot come at another time at least splash on a lot of sunscreen, or you will be walking around looking like lobsters). PS: The photos are not an illusion, but as I said before, July and August r not the greatest time, so that greenery could look very brown in summer. Come to Malta and venture away from the hotels, there's a lot to explore!!
17th June 2006

Can't Wait
I am going to Malta in September and it has changed a lot since I was there last. I am looking forward to it as it is the most beautiful little island in the world. Whatever this person is stating about Malta being dirty and have rude people is a crack. They probably drank the whole time and felt like crap because that was the point of there trip. You need to venture out as it is an amazing culture and lots to experience. The food is great and the weather and beaches are to die for!
11th December 2006

VIVA MALTA
I really enjoyed this article about my beautiful country. I must say that Malta is a great holiday destination, and is highly recommended. Summer is most enjoyable here, as the village feasts are celebrated every weekend. If you want info about a particular village feast, of Balzan (the village where I live), visit www.geocities.com/festabalzan of www.stgabrielbandclub.com !!! Thanks for giving a good impression of Malta!!!
29th December 2006

im half maltese
my mum is maltese, i have alot of family who live in malta. i love going there, its magical. your photos remind me of what malta is like. malta is stunning, i could sit fr hours on a maltese bench and just watch the lifestyle that people have when they are there. the person who wrote a coment on the 11th of april 2006 is a jerk. what does he/she know..? it isnt the pits, its not dirty.. and so what if the roads are broken its not every where!! - have they seen parts of england??some are worse.. probably the only reason they were rude to them is because they have had enough of annoying tourists like them! dont let THEM put you off going to Malta!! its a wonderful place and when you go you wont want to leave!! :) Bye and im glad you have taken a trip to malta, and wrote a journal about what you did there!! x
3rd March 2007

a local rambles
Hi My name is Johan Galea and I am maltese. 3 things , 1. The main roads have been almost all removed and made up from scratch to "european" standards . Eu paid for them or the italians but who cares I can actually drive my land rover without feeling sore yay! . 2. Thanks for reminding me how nice Malta is. I tend to overlook it since I ve been here all my life. 3. Those ninu caves in gozo , if you twat the stalagtites lightly with your fingers they make a kind of resonance , like a musical instrument , it was part of the show apparently until one broke off. 4. Twenty years ago when I went to ninu caves the old lady was really old and she did not go down the stairs either , she must be 100 years old by now :)
25th March 2007

Malta - Not Impressed
We have just returned from a two week visit to Malta. We lived there for over 2 years, returning to the UK in 1970. We fell in love with the place when we actually lived there but had not returned since. Whilst on holiday, we stayed in Bugibba as this was supposed to be "the" holiday area. We found it to be dirty, covered in dog's pooh, and in a very bad state of disrepair. To be honest, a run down building site. The hotel was supposedly 4*, but beyond the foyer it was a different story. There were no amenities in Bugibba/Qawra and if you didn't drink (which we don't) there is absolutley no entertainment. Our outlook on Malta has changed, so much so we will never return. During the first week I was confined to my room with sickness and I have never fully receovered, still suffering now and I am on antibiotics.
31st July 2007

To September Visit - can't wait
We are not cracks...we don't drink either, we visited the entire island and came away with the same conclusion - never never again...and I was very ill there and was told lots of people got ill there so believe who you like, but we're respectable people and if you like Malta, fine, but think you must live on a different planet if you think it's wonderful...
16th September 2007

Food a question should I eat to survive
my wife and I have just returned for a weeks so called holiday in Malta. We stayed at a 5 star hotel in the St Julians area of Malta the one with the tall tower. Within three days we both had problems after eating from the sweet counter. A week later at home we are still not 100% have any of you had any similar problems after visiting this area of Malta. Regards. Bernard
16th September 2007

Food poisoning Hilton Hotel Malta
My wife and I suffered food poisoning after eating from the dessert counter at the Oceana Restaurant in this Hotel during our stay 4.09.07 - 11.09.07. The items in particular contained dark chocolate. My wife has continued to suffer since returning home. Has anyone else who stayed at the Hilton from end of August through to today suffered in a similar way?
2nd March 2008

food poisoning Trie Angeli Silema
we were impressed with all of malta with the exception of the Tre Angeli restaurant Silema where my husband had the carbonara resulting in severe food poisoning i went to the restaurant afterwards to complain i suspect either poor food hygine or salmonella to be thecause but the owner wasnt interested, Be warned avoid this place.
4th March 2008

caught a bug?
You don't have to travel all that way to catch a bug. For all those people winging about catching a stomach bug.....have you tried the uk hospitals?
20th May 2008

malta
that church is so nt random i'ts ta pinu the most loved churc in malta and gozo
6th May 2009

Mobile Tourist Guide
If you are planning to visit the Maltese islands, please check out http://www.pocketmalta.mobi . It is a website with info about Malta, Gozo and Comino which you can browse on your mobile phone. Thank You. =)
18th May 2009

Gozo
Me and my family got a late holiday deal to Gozo, we had never even heard of Gozo but thought we,d take the chance, that was 7 years ago, we had the most beautiful holiday and we saved to go back again for my 40th birthday 3 years ago, we took our grown up children and our little grand daughter with us last year. All 3 holidays have been wonderfull, Gozo is a beautiful island and very clean. We are now saving for our next trip back to the island. If you ever get the chance to go i would reccommend it to anyone. Its the most beautiful place in the world. Ta Pinu Church is a must!!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb