Day 17 St Pauls Bay, Bugibba & Qawra


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta » St Pauls Bay
June 8th 2010
Published: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to go for a walk - just for a change.

We got the bus to Xemxija (try pronouncing that) and walked through St Pauls Bay to Bugibba and Qawra.

The bay is certainly very picturesque and photogenic with all the boats bobbing about in the harbour. Like most places here, the bay is very rocky and walking around involves quite a few hills and diversions along the way. Walking certainly gives you the opportunity to observe things that you miss when driving car. At one point we came across a hidden cove, with a small cave. The water is crystal clear and warm and sheltered.

Once we got through St Pauls Bay we came across Wignacourt Tower, which is the first coastal defence tower built by the Knights. There is a whole series of towers around the country which were built to look out for invaders and to give early warning to the Knights in Valletta.

From here through to Bugibba and Qawra there is a promenade all along the bay, complete with eating and entertainment places on both sides of the road. We stopped for a late lunch and had the most revolting cod and chips. So much for this area being attractive to British tourists. We continued around into Qawra where we found the casino, although we didn’t go in.

The walk was good, but however the hype of this area proved to be a little disappointing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb