Malta


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta » St Julians
March 15th 2013
Published: March 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sitting in my 3rdform Social Studies class at my college listen to my teacher ramble on about her favourite place in the world was not the highlight of my college education, but from then on Malta has always been in the back of my mind. Why we did a 3 week study on a tiny Mediterranean island, thousands of miles away from New Zealand was beyond my 12 year old brain. Seven years later though I find myself on this exact island, falling in love with it, just as much as my teacher had done all those years ago.

Malta is an incredible place in the way that it has a very strong character but it also draws influence in from other countries and cultures. The language is a mix of what sounds like Italian and Arabic, the architecture is undeniably Greek, there are Italian restaurants everywhere. And of course the British shops, for the poor Brits that can’t go anywhere without an M&S or a fish and chip shop. There is a very island feel to the country – mainly due to the fact that almost everywhere I went I could see all four sides of the island, but the whole place is just very relaxed and chilled.

This island, despite its size definitely has something for everyone. For the active, outdoor explorer there are beautiful cliffs and an abundance of varying trails to trek along. A small horse riding school can take you out near Golden Bay, through old army barracks and barren landscape where you can see the smaller island of Gozo – also worth a visit for its trekking and old historic towns. Valletta, the island’s capital is filled with narrow winding streets and hidden shops. You can catch a ferry across from Silema which seemed to be the place to go if you’re a homesick Brit – M&S, BHS etc as far as the eye can see. The ferry only takes about 5 minutes but is absolutely breathtaking especially on a sunny day when the cliffs have a red glow to them, and the sea is clear as glass.

The old capital of Mdina has the eeriest feeling to it, one which I have never felt before. It is dubbed the ‘silent city’ because only residents’ cars can drive in there, but there is almost an unwritten rule that you don’t speak when you go in through the gates. It’s not hard, because this little city will take your breath and words away. Similar to Valletta it has narrow, winding streets, but in Mdina, the walls are so high and it feels almost castle-like.

For the foodies, the island has its own cuisine and many restaurants will be specifically Maltese. They serve a traditional rabbit stew which is definitely worth a try and they have many fresh seafood dishes especially octopus. They have many restaurants with French and Italian influence and there are little pop up fast food stalls selling the most amazing pizzas.

Paceville is the place to go for a night out, but it is not for the faint hearted. In my experience there we were either the only people in a club, or could barely move for the sheer volume of people. There are signs everywhere saying ‘no smoking’ but everyone ignores this so prepare for some second hand smoke and perhaps even some burns. Rubbish also litters the street, and broken glass always makes an appearance on the dance floors. On the plus side, drinks are cheap and you don’t have to pay any entrance fees, and the clubs are all next to each other on the strip. Stopping at one of the pop up pizza stalls was probably the wisest decision of the night, along with going back to the hostel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb