Mdina Revisited


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta » Rabat
October 13th 2017
Published: October 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We decided to revisit Mdina (imdina)..a nice cloudy day would make for easy walking. The bus started from the 'Ferries' so we were able to get a seat.! It was full by the time it got to 'Balluta'..!
Stopped at Ta Qali first & watched the ladies hand painting the glazes onto the table tops that would then be fired in a kiln. Then I watched a lady finishing hand thrown pots of which she had made many many the same! Lots of people around today.
We caught the 186 up to Mdina and we wandered the limestone streets in the Eastern sector. Thinking we probably won't be back to Malta we took in some of Rabat again as well.
Malta is a very different country to any of that we have visited. Always would have liked to go somewhere like Morocco but I can't see that happening these days so this is as close as I will get. Of course the English influence is here so making it easier than it would be in Morocco.
The Arabic influenced language is nice to listen to and interesting to read...no english related phonetics here! Ta Qali is Te Arli. Alot of our harsher consonants are pronounced very softly. Naxxar is pronounced Nasha.

Cirkewwa, Saqqajja, Villagg, Xwieki, Busuttil, Swieqi, San Gilman, Ghadir.

5000BC are the earliest inhabitants creating temples. Phoenician Rule 800-480BC gave Malta it's name 'Malet' meaning shelter. The Knights of St John Rule was the greatest to leave an imprint in their 250yr Rule of the Order (St John's Order-hospitelliers) - St John's (ambulance) cross is the Maltese cross.
And so there once again we arrive at the port of refuge with it's deep natural harbours in a shipping lane to Europe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb