Day 83 to 85 Macedonia and Lake Ohrid


Advertisement
Macedonia's flag
Europe » Macedonia » Ohrid
July 26th 2011
Published: August 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yes I know, I had to look up on the map where it is too!...east of Albania and North of Greece. It’s a small country, with a population of only 2 million. So why did we head there? Well the roads heading south in Albania were reportedly worse than the ones we had already experienced! Hard to believe! We thought it would be good to visit a new country and had heard that Lake Ohrid was nice, so we went to find out. No problems at the border, only they did not have electricity at the time and had to log all comings and goings manually which took time. We also got stung for 50 Euros for the car insurance.

We eventually found a campsite 15 km from Ohrid town alongside the lake. They had recently had a music festival and it was full of kids, a good vibrant feel. However the shower and loo facilities did not meet the needs of so many people! We stayed one night and swam in the lake which was amazingly clear and cool. The next day we took a room in Ohrid town so that we could a) wash and b) see the town! It too was vibrant, like a seaside town (Macedonia being landlocked and Ohrid a large lake). The old walled town was lovely. It had a 10th Century castle, with excellent views, an amphitheatre, that is still used for performances and several churches. We tested the cuisine, which was good casserole like, and plentiful. The following day we tried to spend our last Macedonian Denar on a coffee....so awful mine ended up in the plant pot! But we did find the smallest MacDonald’s! Kim was bemused because they did not sell chips!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb