Post IFMSA GA travelling


Advertisement
Macedonia's flag
Europe » Macedonia » Ohrid » Ohrid
August 20th 2009
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I am a couple of weeks behind, but thought I would try and catch up anyway. SO the true start of my travels, and I began jsut 30 minutes from where the general assembly was in Ohrid.

We were only there for about a day, but I really liked it. We spent most of our time in the Old Town, and enjoyed walking around the Med style cobbled streets and houses complete with grape vines and cats. We visited a few of the 365 churches Ohrid boasts. They were a contrast of Orthodox Christianity and Catholic, all very ornate with lots of icons. The one that really sticks in my mind was the little church on the cliff over looking the stunning Ohrid lake. We sat by and gazed out to the view for about an hour, really enjoyign the peaceful environment.

Ohrid Old Town was relatively free of tourists which was lovely, and felt very authentically Macedonian as a result. We also visited the fort and a amphitheater, both not impressive but the views of the lake really made the visit worthwhile.

We stayed in the Sunny Lake hostel which although difficult to find, some of our group had already been and able to direct us. It was nice to be in a hostel and with non-medics again. The GA was extremely hectic, and so it was a relief to be able to just sit with fellow travelers and chat over cold beers.

We were only in Ohrid till the following morning when we got the bus to Struga - 30 min away - to get our bus to Tirana, Albania.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb