Hoppin' a train to Luxembourg City


Advertisement
Luxembourg's flag
Europe » Luxembourg » Luxembourg City
September 25th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We arrived in Maastricht quite exhausted from our 65 mile goose chase for a place to sleep. We wolfed down our dinner at the Youth hostel buffet and although it was a bit humiliating, but we just couldn't slow down until we were uncomfortably full.

That night we talked about how most of our day was spent cycling in order to stay on schedule. You see, we didn't have a really accurate map when we were planning our itinerary and we seem to have significantly underestimated all of our daily mileages. It was cheaper to buy our maps in Europe. However, we know now that it is better to buy them in advance and pay a little more. We could go on racing to keep up everyday, but we decided that we would like the ability to stop in a cool town and look around. So we decided to take the train through the Belgium leg of our journey.

It would have been nice to experience the gradual changes in topography on bike as the hills started to pop up in Belgium. Did I say gradual? I take that back. As soon as soon as you exit the Netherlands,
Luxembourg CityLuxembourg CityLuxembourg City

Beautiful views everywhere.
hills suddenly appear. I'm guessing that when all of the Europeans got together to draw lines around where they wanted their countries, the Dutch drew a line around all of the flat land, right up against the hilly border.

Lugging our bikes through the train stations was aggravating. Up and down stairs with all of our bags=grumpy Sara.

Of course all of that grumpiness melted away as the train slowed down at what looked like a fairytale Kingdom. Where are we? Could it be? Luxembourg City?!

Luxembourg is a beautiful City. It is so hilly it makes Seattle look like Holland. Fortresses and churches mounted proudly on cliffs. Above the rivers tower giant arcade bridges. I was not prepared for how physically dynamic this city would be. We decided to spend all of today just walking...i mean...hiking through the city.

And tomorrow morning we are mounting our trusty steeds again and heading toward Germany!

On a side note: Thank You for checking out our blog. We've enjoyed all of your comments!

Advertisement



25th September 2008

Luxembourg
I shall always be prejudiced against Luxembourg because of that country project we did in Mr. Smith's class.
29th September 2008

Straousssbourgggahhg
Hey are we still meeting up? just wondering how long you were planning on staying in straussbourg--is that how you say it? and also what the exact dates are. let me know. justin
30th September 2008

Oh yeah!
I forgot about that!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb