An End to a Super-Long Day: 27 Hours and Counting


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania
July 27th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.9, 23.9

After a limo ride to O'Hare, we departed for Frankfurt and arrived at the time they thought was breakfast but felt like bedtime to us. Jake, as usual, got pulled from the security line, this time to have his hands swabbed to check for bomb-material residue. It must have been the beard or the NHS t-shirt that had the letters shown in sign language. (Maybe they thought gang signs?) Upon arriving at Frankfurt, we were confused about when to drink our beers and when to take our pills. So, we did them both. For a German breakfast of hot Italian sandwiches and radler.

Following a slightly longer than expected layover, we were off to Vilnius. On the plane, Barb met a lady from South Carolina who had, literally, traveled the world and shared her thoughts about time spent in Thailand, Vietnam, and Russia. At the Vilnius airport we were met by our next limo, a late model Volkswagen van with 350,000 kilometers on the odometer, no hubcaps, and no air conditioning. It was Moscow all over again. After a little nap time and an hour or so, we were dropped off at Hotel Daguridas in the heart of Old Town Kaunas.

After a little freshening up we walked around the Old Town and settled on an outdoor patio for dinner. It was called "Crazy House" but wasn't that crazy. They served traditional Lithuanian food, which about four other places we checked out did not. One offered an entrée of goose scallops. We weren't sure if this was poultry or seafood. That's why we didn't go there. At Crazy House, we tried dumplings, potato pancakes, and chicken. All were delicious.

We are now gathering our thoughts on the rooftop sky terrace at Hotel Daguridus, looking out over the basketball courts of the neighboring Jezuitu Gimnazija and looking forward to sleep.

Tomorrow morning we are meeting Barb's family for a tour of Old Town followed by dinner at their house. This will be our second time meeting with them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Thanks, Lufthansa.Thanks, Lufthansa.
Thanks, Lufthansa.

German "meat loaf" finds us wherever we go!


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb