The Quietest Capital in the World


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius
September 6th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we got up and dressed in comfortable clothes in readiness for our journey to Vilnius. Breakfast was delicious again and appreciated more for it being our last.

We went to catch the bus to Juodkrante but found that it only ran every other hour, so we had a rather pleasant hour reading by the lagoon in the sun. Juodkrante was rather fun. We left our bags in a random hotel and set off up witch's hill. This is a walk around a forest, but there are statues of witches, goblins etc scattered around. Some of the favourites included a seesaw, a slide and a really cool bench.

After getting the ferry back to Klaipeda, we grabbed some food from a supermarket and headed for the train. Our train left Klaipeda at five and we arrived in Vilnius just after ten. It felt like a long journey, but a welcome change from the bus. I actually read my book without getting travel sick. I read a book called The Historian which is based in the Baltic and Rob is reading ....which is based in Austria and Hungary, so both rather relevant. I'm being told by Rob to mention the size of the trains. They are rather impressive, they are both higher and wider than ours. Another reason they are much nicer than buses.

Arriving in Vilnius at ten at night is not something I'd recommend to anyone. First the toilets in the station are like something from a horror film. There were more men in the women's than women. The only light was a dull blue uv light and to get there you had to walk down a labyrinth.

From the station we had a trek and a half to our a hostel. A nice boy stopped and gave us directions, but it still took an hour. First impressions of Vilnius were bad and these were worsened by our choice of hostel.

Walking up the road to the hostel my instincts were telling me it wasn't a good place to be at night, but with Rob there it wasn't as bad. We were shown to our room which was horrible. We had less room than in Karosta prison and it felt less comfortable. There were other people staying but no one was around and it was deathly silent. After a quick look around the place and an unsuccessful attempt to use the communal computer which operated on Linux, we gave in and went to bed. Well not before looking up hostels to change to for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 27; qc: 132; dbt: 0.1311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb