Day 1 - Vilnius to Panavezys 102 miles (actual 110 miles)


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius » Trakai
May 7th 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Plan was for all riders to congregate at Green Hall (Barclays building) at 9am as many others would be joining us for about 3 miles out of Vilnius. It was great to see Edita, Andreas and their little toddler, Sharunas (I will tidy up spelling later!). The start of the journey was a nice gentle run up a long hill as many of the riders were not used to a fast pace. We left them at the top of the hill and it started to rain...not too far into the ride and Denis (our Russian comrade) had a puncture. The temperature was a nippy 7 degrees with a sharp cold wind with driving rain at times...this unfortunately remained consistent for most of the ride. The road was well maintained and the terrain was gradual undulations (nice) but we were not going much above 16mph because of the wind. I got the chance to speak to Vydas again along the way as he joined us for the 95% of day 1 and even to see his new born and wife, Rugute crew and captains, at Panavezys at 8pm (yep, 11 hours!) - we handed out blue stress balls that was enthusiastically taken up by the captains (the kids ranged from 5-12) and at least it had stopped raining, unfortunately I was too tired, cold, wet and in pain (just hurt my left knee - throbbing madly) to participate fully. The hotel was then another 7 miles outside of town and we didn't start eating till 9:30pm. Lovely hotel and I shared a room with Nick (like old times)...earlier start tomorrow 'cause it's 110 miles but not as early as I would have liked. Piccies to come soon....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb