The Glorious Curonian Spit


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Nida
September 2nd 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived on the Curonian Spit on the lithuanian after a mornings travelling from Vilnius, which included a hike accross Vilnius at 5:20am, a train to the town of Klaipeda, boat across the small channel of water that separates the spit from the mainland and a bus to the fishing village of Nida.
The Curonian spit is a narrow stretch of sand dunes and pine forests about 80km in length, with the highest point being a mere 65m. It bridges lithuania to Kalingrad in Russia, and creates a lagoon on the east side to the Baltic on the west.
This creates a beautiful landscape of sand dunes, sea and pine forests, a great place for us to unwind after the city hopping we'd done earlier in the trip.
Our three days were spent looking around the village, going to the smoke houses and fishing museums, having picnics of smoked fish and salads and of course sampling the local Svyturys. We walked up the dunes to the sundial/trig point and looked to the south over russia and then set sail albeit for an hour to the edge of the russian waters!
On the last day we hired bikes and managed a 28km cycle around the spit, over the the baltic sea where I had a swim, lets just say the term baltic was rather apt!
After a hard days cycling, we sat down for a couple of cold svyturys to find to our astonishment that it was the day the kids went back to school and therefiore no alcohol was being sold anywhere around the area, so coffee and dinner sufficed, Lucy taking advantage of the blanket system that is available for those who are feeling the Baltic nip!
Overall we had a relaxing fun time here in lithuania and will move north to see what Latvia has in store for us!





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

On top of the dunesOn top of the dunes
On top of the dunes

Russia in the background


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb