A Little Piece of Heaven


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Nida
September 4th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were the last to rise at half nine. A guy in our dorm told me that i'd been talking in my sleep, something about being lost and alone on an island, quite embarrassing, but I have heard other people talking in their sleep before.

We packed and left early and walked the 2km to the ferry port. We got there just in time to catch a ferry over to the Curonian spit.

The Curonian Spit is described in Lonely planet guide as heaven, well with the sun shining and the bus route we took, it seemed pretty heavenly. We pretty much decided on the bus that we wanted to stay an extra day, and that was before we saw the room. We walked in and instantly I thought either they'd given us the wrong room, or it was a lot more expensive than we thought. It was the highest room, with slanted ceiling, a separate bar, ensuite and with a private balcony. Superb.

After booking the room for an extra night, we changed into our swim things and walked into the centre. Tourist information was next to useless again, so we set off to the far side of the spit in search of the beach.

The beach wasn't too dissimilar to Parnu, except the sun was shining. We changed into our swimming things, and braved the sea. It was very windy so the waves were rather impressive, plus the sand was disappearing under our feet. We lasted about forty minutes till we were chilled to the bone.

We walked back a Scenic way and looked at a few eating places. Food here is all heavy. Lots of potato, curd, Bread and meat, so not much that's mouthwateringly good.

After a shower in the smelly water that is all over Neringa, we headed out for a "cheap eat" as lonely planet puts it. We both had a main, a pudding and a brandy for L15. Not bad at all.

We bought a bottle of wine and some local mead and went back to the hotel to enjoy the room.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Down the 50km beachDown the 50km beach
Down the 50km beach

I say 50km but i didn't measure so i could be longer
I did go swimming in thatI did go swimming in that
I did go swimming in that

Waves as tall as me


Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 28; qc: 130; dbt: 0.1236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb