Batteries recharged


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia
June 19th 2017
Published: June 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well - after a few days to recharge our batteries, we are up and running again. When we last left you, we were in Estonia preparing to go to Latvia and Lithuania. We stopped in Riga, Latvia for 2 days. Took a couple of cycling tours. One of which took us into the real Riga, not the touristy Old Town. The part we saw was called the Moscow Area. Up until about 10 years ago, we would not have been permitted to go there. You would have been mugged and/or stabbed within the first few blocks. Obviously it has cleaned up but is still very distressing to see how the people are living. It was the Jewish Ghetto back in WW 2. It has changed, but not too much. Very eye opening. We celebrated Colin's 55th birthday at our favourite pub, if you can have one when you are only there for 2 days. It was in a deep cavern buried under the building. Atmosphere plus!

From there we went to the quiet of Nida, Lithuania. Along the way we stopped at the Hill of Crosses. Hundreds of thousands of crosses adorn this hill and beyond. This hill represents the Christian devotion and Lithuanian National identity. It has been destroyed many times during the Soviet era but the pilgrims keep coming back to commentate the thousands of people who have been killed or deported.

While in Nida we explored the ever changing sand dunes and walked along the prominade and generally relaxed. After all, what are vacations for?

We are now back just outside Riga on our way to Tallin. All is going well but are remembering all those at home who are going through hard times. We are feeling a little home sick. Much love to you all.

Attached, hopefully are a couple of pictures. Unfortunately I can only attach ones that I take with the iPad. This limits the number of pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



21st June 2017

Happy Birthday Colin
On the longest day of the year, we send our love and best wishes on your 55th Colin, with lots left over for you Roxanne.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb