The Gauja National Park


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Vidzeme Region » Sigulda
September 7th 2008
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a couple of days in Riga we decided that it was time to see some greenery and head to the countryside, so we jumped on a train and headed to Sigulda in the Guaja National Park, 50km east of Riga.

Arriving in the early afternoon, we had plenty of time to explore the little town. We stumbled across the 'bobsleigh' run, which we had a couple of goes on, although i wasn't too keen on the chair lift back to the top! This is sport number three in the Evans training for 2012, never content with a steady run, Tom insisted on flying to the end, although the dismount was less graceful!

After an afternoon of physical activities, we found the local cafe for a cold wet refreshment, and being only 75p a pint, we stayed for a few! Back in the hotel we met two English lads it turned out they were from Newark!

The next day we went walking and explored the castle ruins of Krimulda and the 17th century Turmaida estate on the other side of the valley, and meandered back along the river to explore some caves along the way.
On the train back the Riga, the following day, all the locals were jumping on or off, just having been, or going mushroom picking (A Latvian national passion). Baskets full of different mushrooms filled the aisles of the carriage, ready to be sold at Riga market or maybe a big mushroom risotto, who knows?




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb