People and the Holiday Meal...


Advertisement
Europe » Kosovo » East
December 25th 2009
Published: December 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
As usual the Army has spared no expense at providing a wonderful holiday meal for the Soldiers and workers here at Camp Bondsteel. We got a special treat of prime rib to add to our turkey and ham meal. The non-alcoholic wine was flowing and the deserts weren't too bad either. My favorite was the shelf life egg nog, which basically will last forever (just like twinkies) at room temperature!

The leadership took time out of their schedules and served up the food for the peope and all the local Kosovo employees were just tickled to be helping out. It really is quite fun to be around such a variety of people. There are contractors, interpreters from far and near and of course the hundreds of soldiers from over 10 countries. It doesn't get much more culturally different than here. I'm not sure everybody likes turkey and the trimmings, but I am pretty sure that we didn't ask either.

The Gospel Choir spent alot of time entertaining the crowds and all the soldiers seemed to be having a pretty good time. I ran into many family pairs, whether married or just related. But what a great opportunity to spend some quality time together overseas during the holidays.

Today there were many activities to keep soldiers busy so we don't just sit around and dwell about not being at home. Most of them were very fun and really just involved a friendly fellowship with each other. So I will spend about 3-4 blogs trying to capture the spirit of the soldiers in picture format. I know that you all enjoy seeing your loved ones in the picures, so I will do my best to keep the words to a minimum and the pictures to a maximum. At least for the next few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb