Munich Part 3


Advertisement
Europe » Kosovo » East
October 4th 2009
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

You probably never guessed it but...My small group never went back to the Oktoberfest sight. We concluded that we were all a little on the "mature" side to be hanging around all the beer drinkers and ride takers. So our wandering on the beautiful city of Munich began.

Knowing that Munich is rich in history but with only a few hours to enjoy its grace we decided to combine a self guided tour and a very fun tour bus ride. We hopped on the bus and sat on the top deck of the double decker where we pretty much had an unhindered view of this somewhat metropolis. We plugged the provided headsets in and got to choose from 8 different languages, and we were probably the only ones on the bus that chose english. For a couple of hours we drove around and saw the public parks, government buildings, and some of the most regal buildings I've ever laid eyes upon.

We laid eyes on the Marienplatz which is the central square in the heart of Munich and the tower of the New Town Hall houses the Glockenspiel, which is a beautiful carillon that is over 100 years old. We missed it, but at 11 a.m. and noon to hear the Glockenspiel chime and watch 32 life-sized figures reenact historical Bavarian events.We also saw the Victuals Market which was only a few steps from the Marienplatz, and reported to be Munich's most popular open air market. We actually walked through the "Victuals Market" and it was a sensual revelation. They had stalls that merchants sold fresh fruits and vegetables, and traditional Bavarian Schweinshax'n and Speck, sea food, delicious cheeses from all over Europe, herbs, honey products, and the out of place sushi. If this was located in Bismarck it would be great for all of us who appreciate culinary choices and would be the perfect place to spend your lunch break, get inspired by new creations, and spend all your money on what looked like rare and special herbs and spices that can't be found in North Dakota.

On our tour we saw the triple-arched "Kalster" which is the entrance to Munich's Old Town. It once formed part of the cities second ring of walls, which stood from 1319 to 1791. Back then it was known as the Neuhauser Tor and then eventually was demolished by a country leader. In the mid 1800's it was rebuilt but minus the central tower. (Story might not be exact but that's what I remember!)

Whether it was on the bus tour or the 10 miles we walked we surely got our fill of Munich. There were many parks where people were just relaxing or playing with their pets. It seemed to be a more relaxed and casual atmosphere than places we can replicate back in the states. Maybe it was the gentle pastel colors of the flowers, or the smell of fresh cut grass. The day was calm and just warm enough that we didn't need much more than light jackets, so it was a super pleasant day.

We spent a little time looking for tourist trinkets to send home, ate true Haagen Dazs ice cream and peaked into every window we walked by. The clothing styles seemed a bit different than the midwest jeans and sweatshirts, but in actuality it was very comfortable to fit in as we walked around the area.

There is lots of history in this town, and between walking around, listening to the tours and a little research I learned that this is where Hitler began his reign of terror in WWII. Most of the jewish houses and businesses were ransacked & burned down by the German SS, posing as townsfolk. This was Hitlers’s way of rallying for sentiment and hatred toward jews. Once the war was in full swing 90% of Munich was bombed, and destroyed. Knowing the bombs were coming, the inhabitants had the foresight to go around and take photographs of every building, street, and cobblestone pattern. After the war, Munich was rebuilt based on these photos. So, Munich is actually a replica of what it once looked like. All statues were stashed in bomb shelters, at least they were genuine. Crazy history here!!! Beautiful city!!

We learned alot about beer, which just teased us because of the "no alcohol" rule. One of the original breweries was the Duke Brewery, built in 1589, and was turned into a beer hall in the 1800’s. It was the venu of the first Nazi demonstration in 1920. They say that back then, there were troughs under the tables so men would never have to get up to go to the bathroom. This does not exist today, but makes for a quirky history fact.

Another witnessed fact is that "European's are not modest!" I was very suprised at how open and affectunate people were right there on the street. But maybe it is just so different from the military's lack of open affection and I think that there were a few times that most of us were shy beyond words.

It's so easy to forget who has come before us and we do not know who will go after us. Sometimes I get busy and caught up in the activities of my small world and having to get life's little things done. But then you come to a place like Munich, and you know that only something you put lots of time and patience and thought into, and build with your own two hands, will last, and will stand the test of time. These Germans are resilient and proud of their heritage and most definately have something to show the world about tradition.

What a great experience! From the mist of the fountains where people gather as a social sight, to the aroma of the small coffee shops in every nook, I could have spent a few days here and enjoyed more of the great food and culture, but for now it would go as one of the locations I would come back to visit.

Tomorrow. The Church...





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 60; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb