Sleet and Hails and Puppy Dog Tails


Advertisement
Europe » Kosovo » Centre » Prishtina
November 17th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Instead of getting up at nine and going the forty minutes walk to the bus station and then traveling two hours to a little town called Prizren, followed by several hours walking round the medieval capital of 'Old Serbia' in the freezing snow, we stayed in bed. At about 10 I was rudely woken by the TV turning back on after another power cut but hid back under the sheets to protect myself from the subzero temperatures (electric heaters don't work without electricity). Whilst I dozed, Steph watched Will and Grace on TV until we 'got up' and watched a further episode from bed.

Our brunch consisted of more toast with cherry jam and fruit juice while checking e-mails and what not. Outside the kitchen window the snow was thick and heavy; coating every bush, car and chimney top with several inches of frozen white fluff. Back in the room we watched a variety of English language programs ranging from comedies to CNN and BBC world. We spent quite a while on the computer updating the blog and making a few calls before wrapping up to go outside.

Many layers later we were on the slippy slidy steps of the guesthouse; creeping our way down to town. Ten minutes on (or 5 meters down the road) suffering from frost bite in every extremity we concluded that neither of us wanted to leave the haven that is our room and opted to eat in. Although there was a problem in this cunning plan; we needed food and so we had to press on.

Round the corner in a small recess under the wall was the smallest, soggiest shivering puppy. This find was followed by a series of cooing noises from Steph and an operation to get food and shelter for the abandoned runt. Onwards, battling the darkness and speeding cars, we continued to the shop. We bought ourselves some food and then also got dog food and a box. Back at the puppy the night was setting in and the little thing was still cowering. Luring the dog out from its hole with the food, we pushed the box in so that it would have some warmth and then fed it the rest of the food.

After prying Steph away we went back to the guesthouse and I started cooking tea while watching live updates from the Israeli Russia game. After the game I called my parents to let them know that I was safe then sat down for tea.

We finished off the night watching films and enjoying the heat without any further power cuts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

He's So Cute...He's So Cute...
He's So Cute...

..and very cold


27th November 2007

Sucker
Hi Steph You really are a sucker for waifs and strays, just make sure you dont bring any back with you
27th November 2007

job possibility
Hello I have thought of a job for you Steph if you can't do what you really want to do - be an animal rescuer in foreign countries. Don't suppose it will pay well but would have tremendous job satisfaction for you!! Love mum xx

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 138; dbt: 0.121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb